Grid export to pdf

Hello,

I gave up trying to export a grid to PDF using Scriptcase a long time ago. Despite numerous attempts and reports, I consistently encountered issues. Some time ago, I abandoned the endeavor altogether when my hosting provider informed me that there are concerns regarding the clearance for this tool.

Nevertheless, today I made another attempt to utilize this feature. In my development environment, I simply added a PDF export to my existing grid. Unfortunately, this caused my entire system to crash. Even restarting the service did not resolve the issue; I had to completely reboot my Windows machine. Afterwards, I created a new grid without making any changes. While this worked in the development environment, it failed to function in the production environment on the host. The export process stalled at around 80%, which was highly disappointing. While there’s some progress compared to before, where I only received a 404 HTML error, this is still far from a satisfactory solution.

In conclusion, in 2024, Scriptcase still fails to provide a reliable tool that works seamlessly across all systems. I am certain that I have paid a certain amount for this functionality.

If we were to analogize this to vehicles and their regular use, it’s akin to a restriction preventing my vehicle from driving on certain roads, causing it to come to a halt.

I would appreciate it if, after 10 years of using Scriptcase, there could be some consideration given to alternatives to “wkhtmltopdf”. I also observe similar issues in the forum, where attempts are made to get this tool running using wild scripts and permission distributions on hosts, as well as .ini files.

Dear Scriptcase team, could you provide me with something positive regarding this issue, or do I have to abandon this functionality for eternity?

Best regards,

2 Likes

Also going crazy with this. It worked for me before the last update and now, nothing but error. What DOES work is if I print to pdf instead of export. Still…what changed and why?

My solution was replacing the wkhtmtopdf with the one I downloaded from its website

Where does this live?

I replaced the one in _lib/prod/third/wkhtmltopdf

Thanks so much. I looked in my lib directory and don’t have this at ALL which explains the issue. I’ll download as you suggested.

Maybe this will help somebody - a long time ago I logged these instructions when having trouble generating PDF files on the production environment:

To fix PDF generation issue:
Open Terminal window
cd public_html//_lib/prod/third/wkhtmltopdf/linux-amd64

wget https://github.com/wkhtmltopdf/packaging/releases/download/0.12.6-1/wkhtmltox-0.12.6-1.centos7.x86_64.rpm
rpm2cpio wkhtmltox-0.12.6-1.centos7.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

find the wkhtmltopdf/linux-amd64/usr/local/bin/ folder.
Move the file, and rename wkhtmltopdf to wkhtmltopdf-amd64
put this under /wkhtmltopdf/linux-amd64

set permissions on wkhtmltopdf to 754

Thank you for your support and tips!

But I won’t do anything to the system. That’s up to NetMake! I can’t imagine that a company that develops software can’t develop something like this according to the standard so that it runs on all environments, or am I wrong, is this too big for NetMake?

I’ve been waiting for this opportunity since 2014, I can wait another 10 years and convince NetMake to finally do something. But that would be 20 years of waiting for it. NetMake can only hope that I’m no longer alive, because I’ll be 60 this year.