Accessing constructed variables

Hi,

I have couple of problems with accessing variables and could not find any relevant post on the subject. Appreciate if any one has faced these issues and found some workarounds:

Background: I have a table with say 10 fields amount_1, amount_2, … amount_10. and I need to access these fields using a for loop and assign some computed values.

When I directly try {amount_1}=999; it works, however if I construct a variable for e.g.
$i=1;
$tmp=’{amount_’.$i.’}=999;’;
and do an
eval($tmp); – it does not work. Further if I do an echo $tmp; – it shows a space in between { braces – like – { amount_1}=999;

This is strange SC is adding a blank space after {

I have tried many events including OnLoad.

Second issue is what is the best way to do a total of these fields – which event.

Apart from the above 10 amount fields I have a total field. How do I display the total in the form whenever any of these amount are changed / update.

Regards,
Chetan

anyone able to get eval work?

below is my code and it doesn’t take effect and no error as well

$tmp = "{name_first}='abc';";
eval($tmp);

[QUOTE=weilies;27722]anyone able to get eval work?

below is my code and it doesn’t take effect and no error as well[/QUOTE]

When there are issues, then eval will not return an error message. Also despite what you want to do I would try to find another solution, like putting the values in an array and process. To allow a program to put php code in a variable to be executed is a security risk and should be avoided at all times imho. See http://php.net/manual/en/function.eval.php.

in your sample:

$arr = array($amount_1, $amount2, %amount3);
foreach($arr as $elem) {
// do your thing.
}

hi, i managed to make it worked!
here is the code

$myname = “here is my name…”;
eval(’{name_first} = ‘’ . $myname . ‘’;’);

i tried with many permutation and finally get one working! hurray!

Thanks Albert

hi Albert, i got stuck again… sorry for request further helps :slight_smile:

Example 1: working

$field = 'name_first';
$name = 'weilies';

// code below able to update page’s name_first field to ‘weilies’ once loaded
eval(’{name_first} = ‘’ . $name . ‘’;’);

Example 2: working

$field = 'name_first';
$name = 'weilies';

$cmd = '{name_first} = \'' . $name . '\';';

// code below able to update page's name_first field to 'weilies' once loaded
eval($cmd);

Example 3: not working

$field = 'name_first';
$name = 'weilies';

$cmd = '{' . $field . '} = \'' . $name . '\';';

// code below doesn't update field page
eval($cmd);

Dear gurus, i need some helps here. I can’t tell what so different for both example 2 and 3, i need the field_name to be dynamically assign via value (example 3). But i have no luck to make it work.

I don’t know, I don’t use eval. Why can’t you use my approach of creating an array. It’s safe and by far more conveniant imho. See: http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.array.php

Check the generated code, that should make it clear why it doenst work (use view source).

This information really useful.

Did you manage to solve Example 3?

good evenning

Did you manage to solve Example 3?

Thank You

[QUOTE=weilies;27813]hi Albert, i got stuck again… sorry for request further helps :slight_smile:

Example 1: working

Example 2: working

Example 3: not working

Dear gurus, i need some helps here. I can’t tell what so different for both example 2 and 3, i need the field_name to be dynamically assign via value (example 3). But i have no luck to make it work.[/QUOTE]