Application Naming Conventions used. Please add your input.

I have been using Scriptcase for a few years now. I love it. I must say that lately my applications are getting more and more complex and sometimes one “Application” actually involves many different individual applications. When Security is added in to the mix with multiple users it becomes more and more difficult to track when a relationship to one app is required to achieve the functionality I am after.

Example:

MyApp is the first part of an application that depends on GridA, FormC, BlankApp2, GridB, etc. etc.

How do you all keep it straight? By putting things in folders in the dev it doesn’t help once deployed as everything is in its own folder and the security apps just use the app name for security.

Do you use a number system like:

MyApp, MyAppGrid1, MyAppGrid2, MyAppBlankApp1, MyAppFormC ?

But that gets problematic when you create a new app that you end up not using in the final production… do how do you best keep an app that was “version1” but are actually going to deploy “version1” to production?

I hope I am being clear enough… I just want your opinions on naming conventions you use when creating a new application that is part of much larger group of applications.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
…Dan

The following is not the only solution, it’s just how I do it.

I use ‘main’ as the first php application. In the current version you can save this root application but in previous versions you couldn’t so by using that name it was always simply the same. Use any default name you like but be consistent over your projects.
I also use a lot of directories to structure the application in dev. It depends on the project, but I have directories for maintenance functions, reports, sometimes per user group. It depends. In the description I describe the relationship. Parent of myapp, used in dashboard bbbb etc. Sometimes the test is too small but then there’s always your regular documentation.
I find it convenient to keep applications that have relationships together. Scriptcase generates form_tableid and grid_tableid but that’s in general you dont want. I would like to have tabelid_form and tableid_grid. This way all applications accessing the same table stays together.
Also a good idea to give expressive names. mytable_form_maintain_something. If the name is too long you can consider to use friendly names.
Numbering names is in general not a good idea, especially when you need to apply links a well formed name is very convenient.

Hope this helps. Again, just my way of doing.

Your method is most appreciated. I hope others add their own to this discussion also.