Connection reset

Am running apache . Have a VERY long program that runs…over an hour easily. Partway through I’ll get this:
The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

• The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.*
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.*
  • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.*

The program is STILL running, though. Sometimes it finishes…sometimes it dies. What does it want? It goes from scriptcase to mysql stored proc back to scriptcase to SP, but of course no human interaction on the screen. Anything i can do to stop this?

Check your “Timeout” variable in apache2.conf. The default is 300 seconds, I think. Look at your logs to see what actually happened. Add debug statements redirected to a file to track what custom code is doing.

I’d leave the 300 seconds Apache Timeout value alone.

From a UX perspective, taking into account the 500 microsecond attention span of the typical modern adult, expecting anyone to wait an hour for a result is not realistic. Freezing your web page is extremely poor design. Do it differently so that never happens. Use email for results of possibly long-running tasks, or provide a grid of running/completed task results. Don’t just freeze up.

1 Like