Custom Menu that isn't a Menu Application

Hi there,

This may have been asked before, but I’m going to ask anyway…

Currently the Scriptcase Menu application uses something akin to IFRAME to display the content that is clicked on. This has a few key weaknesses, such as:

• The URL is no longer different for each page, so you cannot point someone directly to where you want them to go without either a) losing the menu application or b) losing the pointer to the application you want them in. Subsequently I'm walking them through it -- log in, then click this, then click that, now search for this record, etc.
  • There is no way to redirect someone back to the page they started on. For instance, say they want to go to the accounting invoice list and so they visit "http://example.com/app/accounting/invoice/list". But, since they are not logged in yet, they are immediately redirected (by the Menu App, which checks for a global variable or two) to the login screen. But once they log in, there's no way to send them back to where they wanted to go.
  • Right clicking on a link in the menu and selecting "Open in New Tab" is pointless and just opens a new tab with the existing menu and does not send them to the correct location.

I’m a PHP coder. As in, I’ve been coding in PHP since 2004 when I discovered PHP and started hand writing the code. The solution then (and IMHO, the solution now) was include/require statements. I create the menu function in a file like /inc/menu_global.php and it has all the details for the menu. Then in /app/accounting/invoices/list there’s a require statement like require("/inc/menu_global.php") at the top, and down in the script a call to the function that automagically inserts my CSS-styled unordered list (UL/LI) menu there.

I’ve gotten fancy before and had menu_global.php dynamically generate the menu from a database table based on the user’s access permissions. I’ve had it change the background of the section they are in based on a function argument. This isn’t new and it isn’t rocket science.

So, I guess what I’m asking is:

[LIST=1]

• Is there some way to make an application require a file and place it roughly in the top space underneath the application logo?
  • Is there active development in Scriptcase 8 to make the menu application less 1995 and more 2015? [/LIST]
  • Hi anomaly0617,
    I agree with your points SC needs to upgrade so we can navigate without iframes and themes looks more to 2015.

1. You can include a custom file using LAYOUT->CUSTOM HTML TEMPLATES, you can place your menu there, with css or javascript
      — You can also create a custom PHP function to create your menu on TOOLS->LIBRARIES , and call your PHP function onLoad of your app, with CSS you can place it on the TOP

2. You can make custom themes to make your app look like 2015, using CSS.
      if you want to see examples of what you can achieve using SC and CSS custom themes send me a private message to share links

Here are a few examples of a SC with CUSTOM THEME / CSS

[QUOTE=hirambq;30655]Hi anomaly0617,
    I agree with your points SC needs to upgrade so we can navigate without iframes and themes looks more to 2015.

1. You can include a custom file using LAYOUT->CUSTOM HTML TEMPLATES, you can place your menu there, with css or javascript
      — You can also create a custom PHP function to create your menu on TOOLS->LIBRARIES , and call your PHP function onLoad of your app, with CSS you can place it on the TOP

2. You can make custom themes to make your app look like 2015, using CSS.
      if you want to see examples of what you can achieve using SC and CSS custom themes send me a private message to share links

Here are a few examples of a SC with CUSTOM THEME / CSS

[/QUOTE]

Hello,
    How did you import your css? I couldn’t see in SC.

That’s really awesome @hirambq , great job!

Here is another medical app using Scriptcase in the forms