Development Environment Suggestions

I’ve completed my trial period of SC8 running on my desktop Mac and am going to purchase a single developer license (mySQL edition only). Here’s what I plan to do, but please comment if you see something I should do differently:

Install SC 8 on MacBook Pro to allow me to work from anywhere
Install MAMP (apache, php, mySQL etc) on MBPro
Develop locally on MBPro and deploy incrementally to hosted server

Here’s the catch: If I need to enlist the help of someone for development, I would be better off installing SC directly on the remote server and time sharing my single license with my development/support partner. I think the license allows for that because only one person can be logged in at a time.

The down side of server installation would be the requirement to always be online (can’t work on a plane; there are security and speed issues with hotels and other semi-public network connections that I frequent).

Am I going about this the right way?

Thanks!

-nooch

[QUOTE=nooch;33085]I’ve completed my trial period of SC8 running on my desktop Mac and am going to purchase a single developer license (mySQL edition only). Here’s what I plan to do, but please comment if you see something I should do differently:

Install SC 8 on MacBook Pro to allow me to work from anywhere
Install MAMP (apache, php, mySQL etc) on MBPro
Develop locally on MBPro and deploy incrementally to hosted server

Here’s the catch: If I need to enlist the help of someone for development, I would be better off installing SC directly on the remote server and time sharing my single license with my development/support partner. I think the license allows for that because only one person can be logged in at a time.

The down side of server installation would be the requirement to always be online (can’t work on a plane; there are security and speed issues with hotels and other semi-public network connections that I frequent).

Am I going about this the right way?

Thanks!

-nooch[/QUOTE]

We use various license. I always work locally (I like to work this way), and use an Enterprise server side license to share the enviroment with my team. As you say, the problem to use a local installation, is if you need collaboration you have to have Dev enviroment in server side, or have your computer on.

I think this decision should be taken by you and your needs. You know the limitations. Is frequent to have another dev working with you? This dev will be working just as consultancy? (*) … You should ask all of this and think about it.

(*) For example, is not the same if you work with other developer in your team, and need to share your dev instance, or for example if you contract our consultancy services, and you just need for me to connect some moment to help in some task. I don’t talk about outsourcing because well, obviously we have our own license and don’t consume yours.

It depends on the situation you might need assistance for. If you have a single-user licence and you are working on your mac then you could adress the ip in your router to give (temporary) access to your support member, or use a remote desktop tool like teamviewer, splashtop etc. So there are always options and actually we do this quite often. But if you need to have more programmers then you would need a multi-user licence and installing on a server would be preferable. But even for single user, we have a virtual server on the web we can access from anywhere.