EXPORT to PDF Not working for me

I migrated my v6 projects to v7 and have had several problems, some have been fixed, some I’ve worked out for myself, but this one seems to be a mystery. I’m having trouble exporting to PDF with the toolbar buttons; I’m using the new PDF functionality in the applications setting and then (use old PDF exporter Yes/no) I put no.

What happens is, it produces 2 files in the tmp folder one is the html of the grid I’m converting to PDF and the other is a log file. The error that comes up is (The requested URL /samples2/_lib/tmp/sc_pdf_20130218145225_966form_pdf.pdf was not found on this server.) If I try to produce the PDF on my development machine it works fine. It obviously is looking at the correct folder (tmp) but doesn’t produce the PDF from the html file.

The error above is from the samples project, I tested this just in case I had done something in my project that had made the error appear.

Any help would be appreciated as this is one of the main functions I needed.

Don Attwell

Hi Don,

I had that problem earlier, pls look at that thread, sure your problem will be solved with that solution, for small easy exports:

http://forum.scriptcase.net/showthread.php?3497-V7-what-has-to-be-set-up-to-export-to-PDF

Best regards

Eric

[QUOTE=EricB;12636]Hi Don,

I had that problem earlier, pls look at that thread, sure your problem will be solved with that solution, for small easy exports:

http://forum.scriptcase.net/showthread.php?3497-V7-what-has-to-be-set-up-to-export-to-PDF

Best regards

Eric[/QUOTE]

Thanks Eric
I gave it a go with the project I was having the problem with but it’s still the same although I got this error instead (Error creating PDF file, contact technical support.) so I will try it with a new project to see if it may be something I’ve done. Although, it is a bug apparently so there must be a fix on it’s way.

Thanks again for the post, as you can see this is the first time I’ve needed to post, it’s was nice to get such a fast response.

Don

Hello Don,

Was it on ScriptCase 6 or 7?

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Hi Bernhard,

I think he is talking about V7, cause he wrote that he had migrated from V6 to V7 …

BR

Eric

Hello Eric,

Thanks, I only read his post on the Activity Streams and missed the first post.

The issues regarding exporting PDFs were fixed, and will be out on our next release (that should come out tomorrow).

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Hi Bernhard,
Scriptcase was updated today so I added an (export to PDF) button to a grid and uploaded it to the server but still no go; so I uploaded the common libraries and common files, (massive file size) and still not working, it still produces the 3 other files in the tmp folder .css, .html, .log but no .PDF. so that would indicate that it’s looking at the right directory. The wkhtmltopdf seems to be operating ok as no error is appearing and if you try and download it it does download a pdf but with zero file size and when you hit view you get this (The requested URL /_lib/tmp/sc_pdf_20130219212403_799_grid_grading_report_student.pdf was not found on this server.) I also have NO to (use old PDF exporter) in the application menu.

Any thoughts.

Don

Wed 20/02/13
I have just spent an hour or two changing back to v6, I have my main project in 3 Colleges on beta test at the moment and can’t be doing with all of the bugs, I think I’ll wait a couple of months.

Thanks Eric and Bernhard for your help.

Don

[QUOTE=donattwell;12673]Hi Bernhard,
Scriptcase was updated today so I added an (export to PDF) button to a grid and uploaded it to the server but still no go; so I uploaded the common libraries and common files, (massive file size) and still not working, it still produces the 3 other files in the tmp folder .css, .html, .log but no .PDF. so that would indicate that it’s looking at the right directory. The wkhtmltopdf seems to be operating ok as no error is appearing and if you try and download it it does download a pdf but with zero file size and when you hit view you get this (The requested URL /_lib/tmp/sc_pdf_20130219212403_799_grid_grading_report_student.pdf was not found on this server.) I also have NO to (use old PDF exporter) in the application menu.

Any thoughts.

Don

Wed 20/02/13
I have just spent an hour or two changing back to v6, I have my main project in 3 Colleges on beta test at the moment and can’t be doing with all of the bugs, I think I’ll wait a couple of months.

Thanks Eric and Bernhard for your help.

Don[/QUOTE]

Hello Don,

Try to do a manual update and see if the issue continues.

See: http://helpdesk.scriptcase.com.br/kb/article/english/linux/manual-update-scriptcase-7

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Hi Bernhard
Thanks for getting back, I’ve just downloaded 7.0.002 and installed over the files in the scriptcase folder; then deployed the samples applications and still no go. Have you got it to work? if so it must be something I have done or not doing.

Don

[QUOTE=donattwell;12729]Hi Bernhard
Thanks for getting back, I’ve just downloaded 7.0.002 and installed over the files in the scriptcase folder; then deployed the samples applications and still no go. Have you got it to work? if so it must be something I have done or not doing.

Don[/QUOTE]

Hello Don,

A few of our customers are able to generate PDFs, while others aren’t. It seems that the problem continues to some developers. I’m contacting our bugs team to find a solution to the issue.

Are you able to generate PDFs from DEVELOPMENT environment? If you are, then the problem is probably being caused due to deployment. To prevent that, go to /scriptcase/tmp and clear the folder. After that, deploy your project again generating the ZIP file, and make sure to deploy SC libraries. After that, try to deploy your project on your development environment to see if the issue contiues.

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Hi Bernhard
I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting and it still doesn’t work but I have found out something that may be interesting to some developers.

1. I tried your last suggestion but this failed.
  2. I downloaded the Auto-install version 7.0.0003 and installed it in Win 7 running in VirtualBox, this also failed, but the speed different when working with the samples project was amazing, it is working with the SQLite db which I don’t normally use I use Mysql running in WAMP.

Running in virtualBox does isolate the program from all of the other stuff running on my, what I thought was a very high spec machine so I may change the license to VirtualBox (Win 7) or even Ubuntu.

Anyway I think at this point I have exhausted all of the possibilities and will have to wait for a bug fix.

Thanks again for your knowledge and help.

On another note I would like to share some of the things I’ve been able to achieve with this wonderful piece of software “Scriptcase” even with it’s little bug’s, which get sorted eventually; you can do some amazing things at a very high pace, as you may know I’m new to using this forum; although I’ve had the software from v4 I have never felt the need before but now I’m hear I’m finding it very good.

The things I would like to share are laying out forms in various ways and producing printable templates plus building an interface and menu that works well in an iPad or on a PC, my question is where do I post this info? can I make an album and put images up there for people to see and can they be linked to the images from a post or do I store them somewhere else.

I look forward to your answer.

Thanks

Don

Hello Don,

I have just reported that the issue continues to our bugs team.

You can create a topic at Code Examples or Hot Tips and post those images using our forum upload, or if you find it is best to upload in some image hosting web site, you can just point the link. No problems there.

Thanks also,
Bernhard Bernsmann

I have the same bug still on 7.02. Export PDF do not still works. Is it going to be fixed ?
Bye Giovannino

[QUOTE=giovannino;12779]I have the same bug still on 7.02. Export PDF do not still works. Is it going to be fixed ?
Bye Giovannino[/QUOTE]

Hello Giovannino,

Please update your ScriptCase to our latest release 7.00.003. We have a few customers that aren’t experiencing the issue anymore on 7.00.003.

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Hello again,

I just got back an reply from our bugs team. The issue was happening because a few files at prod/third/wkhtmltopdf were corrupted. Please check if there are any files under prod/third/wkhtmltopdf on your deployed project. If there isn’t, please let me know. If there is, set read and write permission to this and to the temporary files folder on your deployed project (probably /tmp).

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Hi Bartho,

did you have any feed-back until now ??
This is a very annoying problem and I’ve very big problems with a prospect that need such futures…
Also the EXCEL export need the php ZIP extension activated. Is it possible do not use it at all ?? Most if not all hosting service provider do not give this possibility on standard configuration. Only if you buy a very expensive service with a dedicated server you can activate the zip extension.
I read it something about this problem and I’m sure that there is a workaround.
Bye
Giovannino

Hello Giovannino,

If you are still experiencing problems to generate PDFs, please contact our support regarding this issue. Our chat is active on workdays from 8:00am to 6:00pm (GMT -3), and our ticket system is always available.

I will check with our support team if ZIP extension is necessary to export Excel reports.

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

Can somebody confirm that this issue is not resolved yet?
I do have the same problem with my projects.
The CSS and LOG files are being generated, but when opening the PDF file the folowing message appears.

The requested URL /_lib/tmp/sc_pdf_20130329093937_232_categorie_overzicht.pdf was not found on this server.

The file is not being generated. I use V7.0006, the folders _lib/tmp and _lib/prod_third/wkhtmltopdf have 777 rights.

No.

The files in _lib/prod_third/wkhtmltopdf must have …

[QUOTE=RHS;13466]No.

The files in _lib/prod_third/wkhtmltopdf must have …[/QUOTE]

Right, recursive offcourse.