How to destroy your SCRIPTCASE project with scriptcase

so you’ve spent months (or maybe years) on your big SC project. You have 500+ Apps, 300 tables, and hunreds lines of custom code.

You have 200+ Select fields, 300+ of customized fields (ie. upper case, limited entry characters etc.)
You also have 200+ TEXT() fields (i.e 512 characters) in your database.

Now you go to the DICTIONARY and SYNCHRONIZE it with the current database. You possibly allow rebuilding dictionary indexes and VOILA!

Your PROJECT IS PERFECTLY FUCKED UP !!!

now you throw some fucks towards the dev’s and go back to your work to spend another week to bring it back to where it was…

What? you have a backup ? you have older version from 3 days ago ?
OK, that’s fantastic ! YOU ONLY LOOSE THREE DAYS OF WORK INSTEAD OF A WEEK !

isn’t it great ?

now because you’re pissed off you start complaining to the company, and they get extremely upset, because you should not complain, You have lost only 3 days of your work (not a week or two,…)

WHAT ?
you complained about those bugs multiple times ?
I assure you, they will be fixed ----------- very likely in your next lifetime !

WHAT ? EXAMPLES ?
here we go… 2023-03-06-21h14-57 hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

I reported this bug a dozen times and (year ago) received a confirmation it will be fixed, and now I understand it has not been fixed because somebody has to take care of your low blood pressure, which needs to stay high. You also need practicing using bad words…and now one has a a perfect reason for that (no excuse).

BTW: here is the message for admins: “fucked up” is an official IT term (so do not even bother me about the language)

It sounds like you’ve created a relatively complex application, but I see no indication that you’re following best practices on your development environment.

Surely this isn’t the first time you’ve been bitten by a Scriptcase update? All of us have. And it’s not just Scriptcase! Updating AWS OS or software, or a dedicated server’s OS can knock you offline faster than you can hit Enter.

What I do:

1. Create a virtual machine (VM) that exactly (EXACTLY) matches your production environment.
  2. Install Scriptcase on that VM.
  3. Register, and update Scriptcase on the VM.
  4. Load a backup of all your projects that target that specific production environment.
  5. Deploy your project on the VM, and verify everything works as expected.
  6. Power the VM off.
  7. Take a snapshot.
  8. If you make a change or patch the VM’s OS, take a new snapshot.
  9. Include your new VM in your daily backup schedule, and add it to your weekly off-site backup schedule. We all do that, of course, but I added it for completeness. :grinning:

Do that, and you’ll never get this annoyed again. You’ll still throw a pencil or two once in a while, but you’re never more than a long day’s work behind, and you have an easy path to the previous Scriptcase version.

Be careful about installing OS updates on the real production system: you want your VM to match production, exactly, at all times.

Check your blood pressure. You don’t want to be known for having stroked-out over something as silly as a glitchy update.

1 Like