Japanese Characters Appear as Question Marks

Hi,

I have a simple Grid application which is drawing data from a MySQL Table of customer data. The data all displays normally in the development environment, but when I deploy to the remote server, all of the Japanese characters are displayed as question marks. Details as follows:

Server Side

• MySQL; Table rows collated as ‘utf8_general_ci’
  • Data displays normally in Firefox and Safari browsers in non-SC applications
  • Japanese characters in deployed SC application all display as question marks
  • Firefox Settings: View / Character Encoding / Unicode (UTF8) | Auto-Detect: Japanese

Local Development Side

• Same browser settings as above
  • Japanese characters display normally

SC Development Environment:
SC Version: 7.1

DB Connection

• MySQL
  • client_encoding = utf8

Grid / Events / onScriptInit

• sc_exec_sql(“set names ‘utf8’”);

_lib / lang / ja.lang.php

• $this->Nm_lang[‘Nm_charset’] = “UTF-8”;

Tools / Locales / Languages / Messages

• Japanese text in all messages displays correctly

What am I missing?

I had started to code this application myself from scratch, but came across ScriptCase and thought I’d give it a try. It looked great, so I bought it, but after looking through the forums for help on Japanese / UTF-8 issues, I’m beginning to wonder about the kind of support I can expect for problems like this. I need to be able to rely on this product to produce applications for customers.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try next to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Shawn

Perhaps client encoding on production connection?

In my post above, I noted that the DB connection client_encoding is set to utf8.
Is there some other setting that I haven’t listed?

(In _lib / conf, there is a file called new_connection_conn_mysql - this file is zero bytes. Should it contain something?)

Hello,

Have you tried to deploy to your development environment (instead of deploying to the remote server). Does the issue happens?

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann

I recompiled the project again and re-deployed, and it’s working normally now. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not sure what I was doing wrong, but anyway, the problem is fixed, which is a great relief. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Shawn

I had this problem, but I managed to fix my server! I configured everything to UTF-8

Only exemple:

Login: admin Password: admin

http://macroerp.com.br/Islamic/app_Login/

Glad you could solve it. Thanks for your feedback.

regards,
Bernhard Bernsmann