Love it but...

Hi All,

I am posting this in efforts for feedback and/or help.

I have spent a day or so watching videos and playing around with the site. In general, I like this rapid creator. It seems to have lots of options that makes building and creating a database fun and profitable.

The big issue I have with scriptcase is uploading to an ftp site is horribly slow. I tried uploading the project manager app that was already created and uploading stopped at 97%. I tired several times but it never completed to get to the 97% took about about 30 minutes.

I continued to read posts and thought creating the application locally would be a better option than moving it to production. I am now on “Step 3/4 - Importing the applications (this step may take a few minutes)” and this has being spinning for an hour.

In general, is this time to upload and get running common or am I doing something wrong?

I am using a mac with godaddy host for ftp and also MAMP for local. The version I am using is the current downloadable one and as I am still waiting for step 3 of 4 to finish, I am not sure of the scriptcase version. I have tried using safri, firefox and chrome and they all produce the slow upload.

If I can not upload more quickly, I will need to move to another product.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=croucher123;16918]
I continued to read posts and thought creating the application locally would be a better option than moving it to production.[/QUOTE]

Deploy the (whole or part) project to local drive as .zip file, upload the .zip with your ftp program and unzip the .zip file. I have in my production directory this simple update.php:

<?php
    system("unzip -o <myapp>.zip");
?>

www.example.com/myproject/update.php and my project is up-to-date …

1 Like

FWIW, I always deploy to a local Wamp installation, because I want to test the application outside Scriptcase before I upload it to production. The first time the upload takes a long time due to it’s size (but the way of Reinhard saves time), but after that I upload only the changed stuf. I don’t use Scriptcase for that but a ftp client (filezilla). That way you can better follow the process of upload.

Hi. I have posted similar things several times on thsi forum - scroll down this one to see what I wrote recently: http://www.scriptcase.net/forum/showthread.php?4540-ScriptCase-7-1-Discussion&highlight=deploy

Hopefully, SC will fix this. FTP definitely has issues.

That said, I use it everyday about a zillion times. I only do 1 or 2 or 3 apps at a time. As I am working, I generate the few apps I changes or created, then do an FTP deploy WITH NO CSS or other files - make sure you uncheck that in the deploy settings. That may be where the FTP is timing out for you. SC will try to send every GIF and button and whatever support file it needs, if you do not uncheck those.

That is why I periodically, weekly/monthly or when a BIG change is happening…do a ZIP deploy. I click on the zip SC creates with everything checked, then use WinSCP (open source) to upload to my server. I also do my project increment before those big deployments. It actually works well.

So to recap,

1. I tests things locally on my laptop. I have SC installed, and I run a PUTTY connection to my server so I get a SSH tunnel connected so I see my mysql DB as localhost. Makes deployments later seamless.
  2. I do project increments for version control at least monthly or more often. I do a full backup at the same time. Then I do a full (everything in deploy checked) ZIP deploy. Upload to server.
  3. My daily work is only using FTP deployments of just a single app or two at a time. Test local, deploy with FTP, test on server, etc . Do not deploy with those 2 boxes checked - no need to send it all again.

I still get some FTP errors periodically, but I can live with it until SC (HINT HINT) implements a better FTP or SFTP system :slight_smile:
Peace,
Jamie

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about the rental car. The car is not the most important thing, taking the reservation to get the car is…

It is awesome to build the application but if you cant get it up to the web, or if getting up to the web is more effort than actually creating the app, sounds like this does not work…

I appreciate everyone’s comments. I am not sure what to say. This is a great product. Getting it into production is a bad deal.

Generally sc has a few bugs, but basically it’s going very well. If it does not work for you (on production system), I can try out if I can get it to work …