menu creation - whats the secret???

Would somebody be so kind and let me in on the secret of creating nice menus with scriptcase?
The inbuilt editor is so limited it sucks… cant edit borders, menu hight, button widths, background images…
There gota be a some secret here right!

So PLEASE share it!

doesnt anybody know the secret?
it must be important to hide how to actually create nice menus in scriptcase…

come on 14 views and nobody knows???

I would suspect that you will need to modify/change either the template you are using, or the CSS that is used. Haven’t looked too deeply, but I would assume that they have classes on most of the elements so that you can style them with CSS.

Actually
If I remember right the menus are not in there

Kevin

The menubuilder is a third party. You can change the style though if you start with a simple menu theme and then modify it. That’s how I implemented our company style.

the only option I have is the menu builder which I think I mentioned before is very limited, so how you modify it?
do you modify the css styling by hand? apply this within an event?

I have tried to create new menus from one of those provided within the builder but am not able to do really simple things like:

• remove the menu border
  • increase button size, especially for vertical menu, buttons look off when not full size
  • add/remove background image as some of them do have
  • modify sub/sub menu

Jaime,
Try these steps…

1. Go to Tools>Layout>Themes
  2. Choose a Theme that you would like to modify and choose Save As
  3. Choose option for a Project or Public Theme
  4. Name the Theme like Menu_Theme or ProjectXX_Menu_Theme
  5. Save it
  6. The list will refresh, you should see the new theme you just created.
  7. Click on the Advanced Mode link next to the theme
  8. On the left hand side you will see the options to configure the Menu and Tree Menu configurations.
  9. Modify all you want…

But if it isnt there… you cant modify it…

These are the kind of answers that SUPPORT should be doing…

Kevin

[QUOTE=Kdriscoll;15200]Jaime,
Try these steps…

1. Go to Tools>Layout>Themes
  2. Choose a Theme that you would like to modify and choose Save As
  3. Choose option for a Project or Public Theme
  4. Name the Theme like Menu_Theme or ProjectXX_Menu_Theme
  5. Save it
  6. The list will refresh, you should see the new theme you just created.
  7. Click on the Advanced Mode link next to the theme
  8. On the left hand side you will see the options to configure the Menu and Tree Menu configurations.
  9. Modify all you want…

But if it isnt there… you cant modify it…

These are the kind of answers that SUPPORT should be doing…

Kevin[/QUOTE]

thanks Kevin and yes you are right Support should be providing some input at least, I wonder where they are, maybe in the streets complaining about a 20cent increase in travel fairs lol

So yup I see where your going, but the options/suggestion your giving is to modify the theme itself not the actual menu design. I will check it out just incase I really am blind and missed something as trivialas that lol I sure hope not cause its been bugging me like hell…
Will for sure keep the post updated lol

Yes you have to modify the theme
But remember you can assign a theme on a application by application choice

So lets say you are using a theme called BLUE on your entire project
I would save BLUE as menu_blue and modify the theme for the menu items
Then just apply the blue_menu to the menu application

Kevin

[QUOTE=Kdriscoll;15221]Yes you have to modify the theme
But remember you can assign a theme on a application by application choice

So lets say you are using a theme called BLUE on your entire project
I would save BLUE as menu_blue and modify the theme for the menu items
Then just apply the blue_menu to the menu application

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much Kevin, I now see the big picture, was till now only trying to use the “menu builder” to modify the menu… so now have a few extra options to play with, still limited but I guess for the time being will do.

has anybody actually tried using a self created menu at all?

just thinking as the options are still limited within creating a nice, clean and modern menu if I could use one created by hand then would be even better than whats possible within scriptcase…

as I am still missing options to increase the width of a menu items, especially when in vertical mode the buttons default to the size of the text which looks really nasty, also no real hover effects available and still no sub/sub menu modifications…
So hate to say it yes I have a few more options but as menu builder/customer it still sucks!

If only we could build menus like the DMXzone menus as an example, this must be possible??? or to possibly use them within a project would be great

Jamie, let’s not forget that SC is a productivity tool and a case-tool. If you need all the freedom there is then you shouldn’t be using a case tool actually, but build all from scratch. Look at tools like Zend or phpEd, easyui jquery(ui), yii etc.
Just pick a theme / existing menu, which comes close and play with it. We made our own menu but our company style (university) is pretty simple. But using a case tool - no matter how flexible it is - has limitations. You need to deal with that.

I agree, using a framework has its good and bad points
And since I couldn’t code myself out a paper bag
Scriptcase works great for me

Do I have issues with the software and company ?

You bet

But at least I can generate workable app

Just my 2 pennies

Kevin

cant say I dont agree, but for sure there is nothing wrong with asking for more and bugging to improve certain aspects right…

just thought I would also mention that so far I am really in love with the “scriptcase”, hand coding I dont have a problem with but when you compare the amount of time it takes dam.
Just the project I am working on at the moment would of taken me 2-3 months and its near complete after nearly 2 weeks!
And the zend framework or some of the others dam I cant even wrap my head around some of them…

So if its ok with you two then I will continue to ask for some better features and improvements, as its also in your interest aswell as scriptcase or netmake… the better the tool the more customers and the happier they are right!

:slight_smile:

I was not trying to patronize you, but I was trying to give a more realistic perspective. Of course you may ask for more features etc. Point is though that more features means more complexity. SC has choosen some 3rd parties to build their product upon. So in these products SC is limited in their possibilities. Afaik that goes for the uploader (I advised a replacement), style editor (which is based on the product you can download from jquiryui) menu and others.
For me, but that’s a bit off topic, SC has enough features and I really would like to get the old bugs fixed first. I think that that’s more important then ever. The injection topic, the uploader and a few other things. If we have a rock-solid version of SC then it’s time to look into new features again. But that IHMO of course.

as sad as it is I would agree, stabilize over new features, even thou we want them :slight_smile:
and don’t worry I didn’t think either of you was being patronizing… just wanted to make a point of course!

“There is always room for improvement!”

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi Jamie - Not sure if my addition is of any benefit but here goes…
I have been working with a horizontal menu and after selecting the theme in the menu items builder I then found that the CSS file for the menu was available in my project folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NetMake\v7\wwwroot\scriptcase\app\MyProjectName_lib\css_menuTheme

I was able to modify all that I needed.

Just one note, after modify the menu CSS if you then modify your main theme it will overwrite the menu css changes.

Hope that helps
Kevin