Migrating apps from SC 5 to 6

I have one computer with Scriptcase 5.2 running. I have created a second computer with Scriptcase 6.002 on it. I did an export from the 5.2 of all the applications in one of the projects. FTP’d the file to a server I could get at from the SC6 server. When I try to import files it gives me “The file was not generated with Scriptcase version 5.” error. I would like to move to 6 (seems faster and such), but I need to get all of the projects and apps moved over from the 5.2 server. Any suggestions?

Re: Migrating apps from SC 5 to 6

I also have a problem migrating applications from SC5 to SC6.

For a start I do not know the Scriptcase server type or access details for either the SC5 or SC6 program itself. I presume it is SQLite, but how would you know? I did auto installs and there was no information provided.

I have SC5 and SC6 on different computers on my network and have followed the conversion tutorial.

Once I know how to access the old Scriptcase database server I will be in business.

Anyone done it before? Any ideas please?

–Tony

Lack of assistance migrating SC5 to SC6 is now beyond frustrating.

So far it would have been faster to rewrite all my apps.

The process described in the tutorial is either wrong or incomplete. It is obviously written by a Scriptcase programmer because it assumes knowledge that Scriptcase users do not have access to.

i.e. where the scriptcase5 app tables are located. They are not on the development machine (it has no database system running) and they are not on remote database connections.

The migration procedure is clunky, repeated attempts require restarting scriptcase in order to get the full sequence of pages again and when something is wrong (as it always is for me) it just crashes and dies without any assistance or hints as to where the problem might be.

Furthermore, requests for assistance through this forum remain unanswered.

Honestly guys, this level of help for paying customers is extremely unsatisfactory.

-Tony

Wow… Do I understand correctly that migration is a PITA?

I could migrate all my projects from sc 5.2 to sc 6 1 month ago.

try to convert locally (from the same computer). it worked for me.

Converting from the same computer is not an option. There is no way I am going to try and install 2 separate and incompatible versions of Scriptcase and PHP on one machine that is already overloaded.

Migrating projects between versions should be the easiest procedure of all yet it does not work in my situation, is poorly documented, unexplained and there is no trace of help anywhere.

There has not been a whisper of advice from Scriptcase people on this subject which is very disappointing. If there is an easy way to do this, how come no-one is interested in sharing the information?

Are there any user success stories of moving SC5 projects on one machine to SC6 on another? If so, I’d love to hear how you did it!

you just only copy scriptcase folder of ver 5 without web server and php, zend optimizer configured.

but php, web server and zend server configured to sc ver 6.
–> insert path in address and done.
i could do that twice.

Suyonob,

Hopefully you can help since you have don it twice. I will be happy with once.

Following the tutorial at http://scriptcase.net/phpgenerator/v6_tutorial/v6_tutorial.php?show_tutorial=true&so=1&inst=1&conv=2&ln=en

All is well until I get to the part titled “Keeping/Overwriting Projects”. Here the convertor asks for database details. Did this happen for you? Where did you get these database details? What database is this form addressing?

My Scriptcase version is for MySQL only so some information is required here. There is no option to bypass.

I’m sure if I can cross this bridge the problems will be solved.

Tony

Found the solution. Once again without any help from the ScriptCase team.

The database used by ScriptCase for its own purposes is SQLite. This system is lite by name and nature. SQLite databases do not have names, usernames or passwords. You simply point your SQLite application at the appropriate .db file and it loads. This is so for a typical installation which is what I have and I guess many others would have as well.

In the case of migrating SC5 to SC6 where the conversion wizard everything is plain sailing until you get to the “Keeping/Overwriting Projects” step and asks for info here is what you supply…

Server/Host (Name/IP) - the full path to your nm_scriptcase.db file
DBMS Type - SQLite
Database - leave blank
Username - leave blank
Password - leave blank

The migration then proceeds OK.

If you follow the instructions in the SC5 to SC6 migration tutorial in the ScriptCase website the full path to your nm_scriptcase.db file will look something like this…

F:/scriptcase6/v6/wwwroot/scriptcase5/devel/conf/scriptcase/nm_scriptcase.db

(with variations as to where you installed scriptcase6).

Congratulation tonyz

If someone have this error when migrating the project:

Error *** access SC_TBPRJ V5 = no such table: sc_tbprj.

please have a look at this post:

http://www.scriptcase.net/forum_en_us/index.php?topic=6000.0

I put the solution that worked for me.

Giuseppe Giardina.