OnChange event fires when there are no changes (both javascript and AJAX events) Bug?

I have a simple single record form which includes a number of fields, and a user defined button. The button simply saves a value to a global variable. The first field (which has focus) has a javascript onChange event attached - right now all this does is call a javascript method, and all the method does is display an alert(). The form loads and displays with the details of the first record. Assume my first action is to click on the user defined button (without changing any data)… the onChange event for the first field immediately fires - I get the alert message - before the button logic is executed.

I do not understand why the onChange is firing when I have not changed anything. Seems to me the event fires onBlur with the field, but then does no checking to see if anything has actually changed.

I deleted the javascript code and implemented an AJAX onChange event. Again, my first action is to just click on the button, and again onChange fires.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a bug?

Any ideas on a work-around?

Hi. In case anyone else is interested, here is an update on this issue A ticket was posted for this, as a potential bug. I was told it was not a bug, and the ticket was referred to support.

The support team and I were online last night and they were able to re-produce the problem. It has now been referred to the development team for a fix.

Importantly, the issue occurs with MacOS Safari, but not with Chrome on safari. We confirmed that Safari is firing the onChange event when no data has been changed. I have not done any testing to see if the problem is replicated within Safari on iOS.

Not sure how this will be dealt with, but a fix is needed.

So if you are having issues with onChange events with Safari on MacOS, standby…

For the benefit of anyone readying this thread, be advised that NM agreed this was a bug and as at release 9.4 a fix has been applied. I can confirm the fix was successful in resolving the issue.

From my perspective this issue is resolved.