Problem with SQLEXPRESS in DEV (and maybe any named SQL instances?)

I am working with Scriptcase support on an issue I’m having in my DEV environment that they have not been able to duplicate so far. I am hoping anyone here who has a connection to a named SQL instance and is on the latest Scritpcase version can try to add or edit a SQL connection in DEV to see if you might be able to duplicate the issue I am seeing.

TLDR; I can’t connect to SQLEXPRESS instances from DEV and it seems like the form to add or edit connections in DEV is ignoring the backslash and everything that comes after in the server/host field. These connections used to work in DEV and is still working in PROD. I have tried the Native SRV and Native SRV PDO connections. If I set up an ODBC connection in Windows and select ODBC as the connection method it is able to connect.

Full explanation:

I have connections to default/licensed SQL and SQL Express servers. For the licensed version the host is simply entered as the IP address. The SQL Express connections are entered as IP\SQLEXPRESS. When I try to connect to the SQLEXPRESS instances I get the below error.

All my connections work via SSMS and sqlcmd. If I use sqlcmd and try to connect to an express server with only the IP address and without ‘\SQLEXPRESS’ I get exactly the same error as I get in DEV when trying to connect with ‘\SQLEXPRESS’.

When I connect to the licensed server by IP only it succeeds, but if I try to connect to the licensed server and add a non-existent named instance on the host (IP\SQLEXPRESS) it still succeeds! That should fail with an error! When I try the same thing (adding a non-existent instance to the host IP) using sqlcmd in the command window I get the expected error - that the named instance can’t be found.

This is the error I get when I try to connect to a SQL Express server in DEV. The error refers to the ODBC driver even though I have not selected that driver. That may be normal as I see the same thing in PROD if I intentionally put in bad connection information for a Native SRV or PDO connection. In that case the error also refers to the ODBC driver.
[INDENT][SIZE=11px]Connection Error

SQLState: 08001
Error Code: 10061
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

SQLState: HYT00
Error Code: 0
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Login timeout expired
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

SQLState: HYT00
Error Code: 0
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Login timeout expired
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.[/SIZE]

[/INDENT]

I have exactly the same problem but on the PROD environment with Scriptcase 9.3 and SQLEXPRESS versions 2014 to 2017.
OS Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012
I have tried the connection using MS ODBC 11 and MS ODBC 13, same result.
I have a xampp server for testing with MS PHP DLL installed.
When connecting to Azure using the same testing environment everything works well = Connection Successful
Please let me know if you find the solution.

como solucionaron tengo el mismo caso con el express del 2016 con la diferencia que no uso la instancia \sqlexpress puedo ingresar a la bd por el ip

Como solucionaron

If I remember correctly, the solution was to set SQL Express to use the default SQL port instead of a dynamic port.