Run user selected programs in SC tab application

I am creating a tab application. I need to allow the user to select and run a non-ScriptCase application on his/her desktop in one of the tabs. For example, I need for the user to be able to run his default browser, default or selected word processor or spreadsheet in a tab.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you.

Lyle

[QUOTE=lyleholc;23747]I am creating a tab application. I need to allow the user to select and run a non-ScriptCase application on his/her desktop in one of the tabs. For example, I need for the user to be able to run his default browser, default or selected word processor or spreadsheet in a tab.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you.

Lyle[/QUOTE]

That’s quite a challenge imho. Your client must be able to control the browser everybody is using. AFAIK you cannot control which browser to be openend, the default browser is stored somewhere in the ini’s / registry. The word processor like ‘msword’ needs to be assigned to the browser. To start it up you must set the correct html header etc. I’ve seen that word or excel openes within a browser, and perhaps you can force the same thing within an iframe. Then the approach would be to create an iframe and assign the document to it.

Hi Albert,

I’m thinking, based on what you’ve said, that one strategy on this would be that the user would use the File|Open functionality in his browser, navigate and select the desired file (e.g., a .docx file) and then I’m thinking the file associations would launch the right program such as Word. But I don’t have a clue how to enable this to get it in a tab.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lyle