SC apps reverting to earlier versions

We launched a new product written with Scriptcase at the beginning of January. It works fine except that there are regular changes to applications that seem to be spontaneous. So, for example, this morning the menu app reverted to a version that was overwritten a couple of weeks ago. Another example: this morning the dynamic search fields in a grid application were half as many as there should be. Interestingly, when I look at the version of the apps in the development environment, they are as expected, i.e., not reverted. So all I have to do to fix the problem is to re-deploy the apps with no changes made. But the problem recurs in a few days, with another app. These don’t seem to be corruptions in the normal sense, i.e. the product never crashes, it just reverts to an earlier version.

There are two things we have tried to deal with this: we moved from one server (that was poorly setup and had DNS setting problems among other things) to a shared hosting on another server. The second thing we tried was deleting the project from the server and completely re-deploying it on a weekend shutdown. We’ve done that twice, the latest time being this weekend past. There were 3 ‘reversions’ this morning so that approach hasn’t worked either. This is very frustrating because users are signing up to our product (a freemium service, but most are paying) and spotting these reversions and reporting them as bugs. This is having a bad effect on the product’s reputation, which is really worrying at this early stage in the product cycle.

Has anyone come across this problem before, and has anyone any suggestions to cure it?

Mike

Hi Mike

This is very weird. I experienced the opposite things. The app went wrong in dev enviroment and there no way to make it work as should. If i deployed something it never changed.
If I understand well then the files are change in time to older version. Anyway it is impossible that something revert to overwritten version by itself if it not intentionally programed.
In my opinion this is the problem of the hosting backup.
Try to deploy the same version on other (total different company) hosting services and also on your local server.
And you will see what version will go wrong.

Let me know where was the problem

This is certainly not SC behaviour. You upload PHP applications and no way SC is able to overwrite that without your instructions. So if applications spontaniously revert back to any previous version then the provider has recovered from an old backup. Loads of providers only create a weekly or monthly backup.

Hi Albert,

I can see why you would say that, but here’s the critical point: this morning a ‘reversion’ occurred to the login app and the version it reverted to had only existed on the previous server. How could an old backup explain that? And so often? It happens several times a week, sometimes several times a day! It’s mysterious and it’s only a matter of time before its starts costing us customers.

Mike