Scriptcase 9 news, not ready for mobiles

http://www.scriptcase.net/lp/scriptcase9/

There isn’t any reference or advance for mobile compatibility, bootstrap, responsive dashboards, etc. It is certainly disappointing … We are rethinking to stop paying these licenses and stop working with this tool , all our customers are demanding responsive tools and seems scriptcase isn’t ready for it, furthermore won’t be ready for it the next years as far as we can see , [SIZE=12px]which[/SIZE][SIZE=12px] is[/SIZE][SIZE=12px] ve[/SIZE][SIZE=12px]ry disappointing . We hoped news about it but seems there are other priorities. [/SIZE]

True, not fully bootstrap which would require a complete overhaul of the system I guess. We have been developing responsive apps with the responsive themes. It’s does require some fiddling but it wasn’t a real issue (at least for us).

I share the OP 's view…
but want to see SC9 more responsive friendly.

thoughts –

1. I don’t’ need a “mobile app”… only good responsiveness in a web page.

2. Albert, you mentioned “responsive themes”… is that available to everyone? or something you created specific for you? Can you share it?

3. the SC 9 page did say this:
    [SIZE=16px]A new option within the Control application that will allow the integration of Scriptcase forms with HTML and CSS created by the developer. This option gives total freedom for forms layout customization.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16px]what exactly does that mean?[/SIZE]

does that mean it should be easier to make a page responsive?
IF SO… will there be examples on what, how to do it?

WHILE my knowledge of CSS is growing, I know iI can waste many, many hours doing something simple – I MUST avoid that situation!!!

[SIZE=18px]FYI. mobile is the future. growing very, very, very fast. If your website is not mobile-friendly, you might as well not have a website.[/SIZE]

I don’t disagree with the fact that sc should be more responsive and I would like to see a framework like bootstrap integrated. But truth is that SC is over 10 years old and transfering to a new framework is a huge task.
All the themes that come with version 8 are responsive themes. So yes they are available to anyone. Something not forget is to apply menu’s for mobile. I think it’s too much hidden in the IDE (behind a tab, but easily overlooked). Please don’t shout on the forum.
Unfortunately SC has not been showing the new version to it’s resellers yet. We would also like to be part of a beta, but SC doesn’t do beta. So my advise for the first months: don’t stare yourself blind on the new features. It will most likely take some time before they get stable.

Hello All,

Has anybody used the following library with ScriptCase?

http://mobiledetect.net/
[SIZE=14px]Mobile Detect is a lightweight PHP class for detecting mobile devices (including tablets). It uses the User-Agent string combined with specific HTTP headers to detect the mobile environment.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14px]You may consider this script as being part of the RESS (Responsive Web Design with Server-Side Component) movement. You can find out more on the topic by reading these articles: Improve Mobile Support With Server-Side-Enhanced Responsive Design and RESS: Responsive Design + Server Side Components.

Here is some Sample Code:

[/SIZE]

• // Include and instantiate the class.
  • require_once 'Mobile_Detect.php';
  • $detect = new Mobile_Detect;
  • // Any mobile device (phones or tablets).
  • if ( $detect->isMobile() ) {
  • }
  • // Any tablet device.
  • if( $detect->isTablet() ){
  • }
  • // Exclude tablets.
  • if( $detect->isMobile() && !$detect->isTablet() ){
  • }
  • // Check for a specific platform with the help of the magic methods:
  • if( $detect->isiOS() ){
  • }
  • if( $detect->isAndroidOS() ){
  • }
  • // Alternative method is() for checking specific properties.
  • // WARNING: this method is in BETA, some keyword properties will change in the future.
  • $detect->is('Chrome')
  • $detect->is('iOS')
  • $detect->is('UC Browser')
  • // [...]
  • // Batch mode using setUserAgent():
  • $userAgents = array(
  • 'Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; Desire HD Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19',
  • 'BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103',
  • // [...]
  • );
  • foreach($userAgents as $userAgent){
  • $detect->setUserAgent($userAgent);
  • $isMobile = $detect->isMobile();
  • $isTablet = $detect->isTablet();
  • // Use the force however you want.
  • }
  • // Get the version() of components.
  • // WARNING: this method is in BETA, some keyword properties will change in the future.
  • $detect->version('iPad'); // 4.3 (float)
  • $detect->version('iPhone') // 3.1 (float)
  • $detect->version('Android'); // 2.1 (float)
  • $detect->version('Opera Mini'); // 5.0 (float)
  • // [...]
1 Like

Albert, you and other moderators always have a mature, balanced and calming response to these type of queries on the forum; and I appreciate them. I just hope in your direct relationship, you give Netmake the real heat! This is almost an existential matter and history is replete with examples of companies that gave low priority to what a large community of their user base request. A situation where a new entrant can easily cream off a good number of annual recurrent licensees should be worrisome. 10 year old or not, the business is gone!

Personally I can live without a lot of the new features that keep coming out. Then again, if Netmake’s money mostly comes from a large base of Corporate IT departments who just need a RAD tool to generate form/ database apps to their internal users, I can relate to why we can shout ourselves hoarse! [That’s figurative and not an endorsement of shouting online by the way :slight_smile: ]

I’m not sure how to respond. I am pretty critical and I haven’t been hiding my criticism on this forum. I’m not interested in the new features too and I think that security issues comes first, then the bugs and then think of new features. But having said that I think that there needs to be some realism. To expect that Scriptcase will adopt bootstrap as the main tool is unreal. I’m not from netmake, but being a dev (and I hope a good one) I know that those structural changes takes a lot of time, and most likely will break current code. Personally i don’t care which technique SC uses to create responsive apps, as long as it works. And above all: -and I have stated that very often- support of the SC organisation is crucial and currently it still isn’t on the level that it should be.
In general I try to be clear but moderate. There is no need to shout as some of us here do. You will catch more flies with sirup than with vinegar. So I choose for the more soft approach. As long as I am persistent (and I am ;-))

1 Like

I am sure NM knew the market or what’s we want. Just that they can’t deliver to us so fast. We need to give them “time” to do it. If u can’t wait just shift to other tool. Don’t need complaint so much here. Period.

Changing a framework to incorporate other third party libraries has also the issue of having to track and incorporate any changes those libraries bring. Security is also an issue to consider, as any vulnerability of any third party product automatically weakens a deployed SC and this can be a headache for many people who deploy and don’t actively maintain the applications.
Nevertheless, it is unquestionable that it could extend the functionality and make SC much more flexible than it is. I think that it is about time to consider decoupling the user interface from the actual core functionality, allowing SC to use any third party CSS framework as long as it adheres to certain opinionated rules or protocols. But I’m certainly looking forward to SC 9 as it seems it does have a bunch of features that could make my life much easier.

Happy Holidays :slight_smile:

so for my needs, what I’m trying to do, is this:
http://www.scriptcase.net/scriptcase-samples/php-form/simple-form-with-copy-button/

when you look at that page on desktop – it looks fine.
now, shrink your browser window to the size of a mobile phone — when the horizontal scroll bars appear, that is not good.

will a “responsive theme” prevent the horizontal scroll bars from appearing?

thanks

It will sure look differently as we have created some simple mobile apps. But you need to adjust your menu (which has a mobile content). But even with mobile, there are minimum limits to take care of (fieldsizes etc).

I am hoping that their development includes fixing up this forum!

I have written about it several times. My hope is that they at least bring it up to the standard of the Brazilian forum.

I would like to easily be able to:

• See NEW posts since my last visit (Brazil forum has this).
  • Not allow posts to be published that have no subject.

I AGREE! This forum is terrible, the help is appreciated, but the forum (script) seldom works properly (for me at least)!

I posted on the regular forum (not mobile)…I am able to convert my project’s classes to bootstrap classes through JS…Cross browser,cross device, and fully responsive…Use SC generated forms to test…Then when satisfied, wrap it with bootstrap and give it the modern look you want.

All this is doing is changing the “views” and not the functionality of you apps…Like Django,ruby,and others, they have the “view”, which SC calls their themes.

I want to setup a github project if others are interested…Anyone?

I think all we need is a list of css classes from SC and remap them to bootstrap classes…

It is above my head, but I will certainly be interested to see this.
Sounds exciting!