Scriptcase, Business Intelligence Software?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if it’s possible to build a business intelligence software like QLIKVIEW using scriptcase?
wherein user can customize the fields to be show, select difference database, combine table queries? etc…

Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=rendonjerome14;22553]Hey guys,

Just wondering if it’s possible to build a business intelligence software like QLIKVIEW using scriptcase?
wherein user can customize the fields to be show, select difference database, combine table queries? etc…

Any suggestions?

I think it’s doable but you need a lot of custom code to do that. In general you should consider the functionality of your application compared to the strong points of scriptcase. I’m pretty sure that you will be decreasing your development time compared to raw php, but I’m also very sure that you need to do a lot by yourself in blank applications. I’m aware this is a vague answer, but it’s hard to be more precise. Scriptcase has some flexibility using tablenames and database connections. But generating screens is done during development. So dynamic creation of forms is not the strongest point of scriptcase. But for all setup’s, storing user preferences, queries etc. you will meet Sc strong points. So partly you can rely on the basic functionality of SC like crud and charts. But I think you will not be able to create all without (a lot) coding in php too.

hmm… Well said. but i’m quite curious if anyone had ever done BI software here in forum using sc. let’s see if i’ll be able to, but anyways thanks.

another question, is it possible to change database (ex. from MySQL to Oracle) during runtime. And how can you get the detail/info of the connection/s you used?
and is it possible to list down the tables of the database on select field using control application?

-Thanks

I know there’s a macro to change connections. So if you have defined two connections, one on mysql and one on oracle it should be possible. Never tried that though. To retrieve a list of tables or fields of tables you need to execute the correct statements to the database. For oracle this is different then MySQL. Then you need to put the retrieved fields into a select box. I don’t know of a macro to be able to do that. But you can always use tempory tables for that. So with a bit of fiddling I think that you should be able to do that. The manual of macro’s can be found here by the way: http://www.scriptcase.net/docs/en_us/manual_mp.htm#scriptcase-macros/scriptcase-macros

Expressions such as “I think” and “I guess” are only appropriate in love letters. To make important business decisions, you must have the right data from one source. Otherwise, it’s like playing poker with your cards showing. This is doable, but it requires a lot of special code. Consider the functionality of your application versus scriptcase. And for the best results, you can use the services of the best firm. Good luck. You will succeed.