SQLite - or not?

What SC package contains SQLite connection capability? I had thought it was included as part of the basic MySQL because it was not listed as a separate purchase possibility and because the SC manual recommended its use for every OS install. I only see it offered in the most expensive version of SC? That true? Not included and no separate purchase capability? With SQLite now embedded in PHP-5.x would think it would be included in SC :frowning:

If I look at the purchage page then I see that you need a professional edition to connect to sqlite. That’s odd indeed. But honestly, why would you use SQLite for a production environment? It’s not suitable for multiuser environements as the lockingscheme is table only… I recommend to go for the onther db’s like MySQL. That’s supported by most hosting providers.

Agree - a bit odd not included; almost seems a bit tight not to include. I currently do use MySQL and concur that SQLite may be of limited utility in heavy multi-user CRUD environment; however, (a) hosts (like go daddy) are including it with the PHP install, (b) it has extremely low overhead compared to MySQL, (c ) might be useful enough for ‘admin’ CRUD, and (d) if used as presentation data / html code repository then possibly no worse than MS Absest (access) but with fairly common SQL syntax :slight_smile:

I am author of an open source SQLite package for Delphi. I like SQLite very much as it’s being used in a local environment. I know that SQLite is nowadays a part of the standard PHP package. I guess for read-only purposes it’s great. Ie. for configs, translations etc. But it’s by far not a replacement for MsAccess as both products have different goals. But in general I was suprised by the embedding in PHP. However you’re right about the footprint. But SQLite has become more heavier lately and actually it’s not as slim as it used to be. For local applications (single user on a workstation) it’s the best. But in multiuser envs… I still think it’s not.