V9 Problems with 'New Fields' on Grids - Search, Group By, Refined Search, Sorting

I have a Grid with a number of fields (from the main table), which work fine. I have added a ‘New Field’, which is a lookup from one of the main table fields to a separate table to get a related value.
(e.g. What department a particular role sits in… the role is in the main table and the department in the lookup table).
Everything works as expected in the main grid and the column displays correctly. However, when I then try and use the new column in various other places (such as group by) I run into problems.

Here is a summary of what I have found:
In Group BY… It allows you to select the new field/column, but it just aborts with an unformatted hrml popup.
In Refined Search… you cannot select the field
In Dynamic Search… you cannot select the field
In Advanced Search… you can select the field and have it appear in the Advanced search, but when used it does nothing.
In sorting (at top of the column)… you cannot select the field
In Sorting Rules… you can select the field but it does nothing

NB this is also true of an added field that is a result of a calculation of the other fields in the grid… it seems to be any 'New Field’s

Clearly, some of this MAY be intentional, but some are obvious bugs.

This seems pretty fundamental to me and worrisome that we are months into the release with this kind of basic problem. I’m not sure if this is reported elsewhere(or even being worked on), but the lack of a proper tracking system is perhaps worse still. Use of the Forum (Ad-Hoc) like this does not seem nearly good enough.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Regards

IAn

You can modify your Select statement (in SQL Settings) to include the different lookup that you need.

Yes of course you can, but it doesn’t address the errors/foibles detailed above which are mainly to do with manipulating the information once you have retrieved the SQL result. Bottom line is that unless the field is a ‘database’ field rather than a ‘virtual field’ (e.g. something you added with insert field), then you cannot do some of the normal manipulation and in some cases it produces a code error.

Did this ever get resolved? Here I am in Feb 2019 with the same problem!

Now another year later.
Have you resolved this as yet?

Not really. I got this response from Support:

“The problem is that the dynamic search is create based on the table, if it was an advanced search would be possible because we could use the events to pass the values.”

My project doesn’t use Advanced Search. Support said they would pass my suggestion to the developers.

I then suppose the alternative is to create a view that includes the fields to search.
I have done this, and works. This is not a attractive solution, but works

Yes, not elegant, as you say, but workable. I also theorise that you could create a button that re-loads the grid with a WHERE condition to filter the required field. In my case I moved on to other problems! :laughing: