Windows 7 or Ubuntu Linux for new installation of Scriptcase

Hi,

I am new to Scriptcase and am about to install the development tools. I work in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux. Does anyone have experience with using both environments for Scriptcase development. Do you have any preference and if so, why?

For web project I have mostly used Linux, which has the Apache server that I find easy to configure and work with. In comparison, I have read that the Windows Internet Information Server is somewhat of nightmare to configure. However, most of my development on Windows have been for desktop, so I do not have personal experience with this. However, I would be inclined to go with an Ubuntu Linux Scriptcase development environment.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I cannot give advise in the way that I never really worked under linux. Installing SC under windows is a piece of cake as the download consist everything you need. In our production environment we use windows and linux and on that level we never encountered serious problems. We have installed SC on a virtual windows 2012 server and can access it from any browser on a valid ip. So lots of options there.

Depends of your scriptcase license, if you have access microsoft sql server in your scriptcase instalation and if you will develop projects with this database so you have to choose windows 7. If you will use only databases that works with linux. So I prefer ubuntu.

Thanks, Albert.

Is it your impression that a large majority of the SC customers develop under Windows?

My main concern about Windows is that is that every virtual machine requires a separate license (thanks to MS strange license rules). However, for Linux I can just throw up a new machine without any such worries. I could of course install on my existing Windows VM for development. However, I am not so sure how much resources it is going to take and it may interfere with the existing installation. I would like to keep it separate for security and easier maintenance.

Anyone with development installations under Linux feel free to chip in.

@paulomarcelo, could one not have SC installed on a Linux machine and the SQL server on another machine in the same network and develop against it?

Anyway, my project will be in MySQL and/or SQLite on the same machine in both the development and final production environment, so it should not be a problem.

So Linux works well for your development since 2012?

I have installed on Ubuntu 12.04 and for my projects i use SqlServer ( thru freetds ) and MySql.
Also the SC8 repository is on MySql instead SqLite…

[QUOTE=Orion;36730]@paulomarcelo, could one not have SC installed on a Linux machine and the SQL server on another machine in the same network and develop against it?

Anyway, my project will be in MySQL and/or SQLite on the same machine in both the development and final production environment, so it should not be a problem.

So Linux works well for your development since 2012?[/QUOTE]

In two separate machines it is possible, But if your environment is in only one machine, scriptcase installation and database server it will be like i said before

[QUOTE=gbravi;36731]I have installed on Ubuntu 12.04 and for my projects i use SqlServer ( thru freetds ) and MySql.
Also the SC8 repository is on MySql instead SqLite…[/QUOTE]

Do you have microsoft sql server installed on linux? Or do you have two separate machines. If it is two separate machines is possible and the driver to connect is freetds.
About scriptcase setup:
I think that if you have many developers using scriptcase in the same time, mysql is better than sqlite, but if you are unique developer using scriptcase, the sqlite is the simpler one setup and to maintain

Ok, so there are developers using SC in Linux environments.

As for database I will go with MySQL as I may well add additional developers on projects later on. Good point!

Yes we use Sql Server from Windows Server and yes we are 4 developers so i prefer to use mysql instead of sqlite. Faster and more reliable.

@Orion, yes I think that most users use the windows installation. I don’t see your issue that every virtual machine needs a microsoft licence. You can install scriptcase only once with your licence. If you need more devs they will work multiuser on the same scriptcase instance. So you need only one windows installation to install SC on. Of course Linux is a free distribution and you can install as much as you like but you still be able to install SC only once. Again I have no experience with Linux so I can’t tell the difference between both instances. I just know that installing under windows is a piece of cake where linux installation takes more effort (the install issues in this forum is mainly linux based). We rent a virtual server in Germany which is not too expensive and contains windows 2012 server including plesk for maintenance. Works like charm.

@aducum, my issue with each VM needing a separate Windows license was not in relation to SC, but just Windows itself. For the first project I have just purchased a pro SC license, and so will have the server and development on the same machine. I wish to have the SC development environment separate from other machines where I have other types of development tools installed, hence the need for an extra Windows license. However, I think I have another one lying around from earlier that can be used. It may be better if most SC installations are on Windows. Coming to think of it, I may also in a later phase need to implement some background processing involving MS Office so Windows will be needed.

I may later add an additional developer for a large upcoming project. I will at that time upgrade to the enterprise license as well as get an additional SC license. I guess in that scenario it will make sense to have a cloud server as you suggest, so we are more free as to location. Do you know if SC would be willing for me to change the existing SC installation to e.g. another Windows server from my existing installation, when this later becomes a need?

In general yes, you just install it on another server, then request on your registration page for a new licence and you can set things up. Don’t forget to export your projects before moving because there’s only one instance active at a time. I did it when I moved from local pc to virtual server and it worked w.o. issues.

Ok, great!

I typically prefer CentOS for my servers, however I found it was too much of a headache to get CentOS to play nice with SC (v5 and v6 use PHP 5.3 by default, and upgrading can cause unintended issues depending on the setup). Ended up settling on Zentyal 3.3 (yes I am aware there are newer versions out) because it is based on Ubuntu 12.04 (which has support until April 2017) and seems to play nice with SC and has PHP 5.4 native. Any version of Zentyal newer, uses PHP 5.5+ and when you go to push apps to production, there is a known bug where the finished application cannot establish a connection to your back end database. The solution was to be sure I was using PHP 5.4 in the production environment.

Nice thing about Zentyal, is it ‘can’ install a very light GUI which doesn’t seem to take up many resources, and makes installing SC a breeze under Linux. You run their installer as sudo and it just works, couldn’t be easier (the linux installer also comes with everything you need like apache, php, etc). Then you can choose to run MySql from either that same Zentyal box, or another server of your choice.

I have (2) Zentyal 3.3 VM’s running (Development and Production) for close to a year now, with no major issues supporting SC, so I’m happy.