Can't restore project

I have project created with SC8. This is an export file. When trying to restore I get error message:

“The file was noy created by Scriptcase version 8”

Any ideas how to deal with this ?

Arthur

sounds like both are sc 8 but from different subversions.

Regards

ok, so what’s the solution ?

you would need to check if what im saying is true to begin with, then you should get both environments with the same subversion.

Regards

[QUOTE=kafecadm;36409]you would need to check if what im saying is true to begin with, then you should get both environments with the same subversion.

Regards[/QUOTE]

how am I supposed to check version or subversion if I can’t restore it ? Is there any txt or config file with the info ?

The best way is to contact with support. There are some value you can change, but I don’t know exactly where

THANKS. I will talk to Support once they learn to speak English. Besides I do not have that option anymore and I’m not planning pay money just to get frustrated with their indolence.

Arthur

LOOKS LIKE I ended by the concrete wall :frowning:

I have to admit: SCRIPTCASE backup / restore functionality simply SUCKS !

[QUOTE=aka;36665]LOOKS LIKE I ended by the concrete wall :frowning:

I have to admit: SCRIPTCASE backup / restore functionality simply SUCKS ![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that, we know it have some flaws and…
The good news is: We are working to improve our backup / restore tool.

well, weather you working on it or not, I’m stuck and I need to find some solution (or invest another set of about 100 hours to get to the last backup version). THAT SUCKS ! doesn’t it ?

I would make a full backup of what you already have. Then simply install an older version (the last one that worked good for you) and import in that if possible. Then simply update that version to the version you use now. Then export everything. Then put the sc you are using now back and import what you need…
The license is per machine so this could be a usefull solution…
My advise, make backups! of the complete scriptcase dir (turn your webserver off when you do).
We always make complete zip files before any upgrade (yes we learned the hard way). That is still the best way to work…

My HD crashed so telling me about the SC folder backup makes not sense here. I would rather strip off backup/restore features from SC, than give users false illusion they are safe with SC backups.

The worst thing that happens here is that even if one has a production folder available (and working) it cannot be imported back to SC.

Arthur

You didnt tell that your hd crashed… You said this:
I have project created with SC8. This is an export file. When trying to restore I get error message:

“The file was noy created by Scriptcase version 8”

SO if your HD crashed then the story is different…
It then depends on the type of HD crash…
Many HD crashes still keep the data on the disk and most of it is very retrievable. If the drive still spins when powered on then you can recover data using data recovery software.
In order to do that disable file indexing, and set all settings so that the drive isnt written to in any way. Preferable grab a windows 7 or windows xp recovery disc.
Examples: easus data recovery free, testdisk, recuva and getdataback.
So then whatever you do, do NOT write on the crashed drive whatsoever before you have restored what you needed.
A HDD crash is in many cases recoverable, only a mechanical crash gets a lot more difficult (but often is also partly recoverable).

Dear rr - you do not expecting me restoring a backup from damaged HD, do you ?
Forget about HD crash. I used project copy from my external HD (so the crash has nothing to do with it). Besides it is not only one backup set, but many of them end up with the same error message. It is impossible that I have 5 or more backup sets damaged. Problems with backup/restore were reported since SC6, so it is common issue. The question is if there is any workaround it as a temp solution ?

Arthur

Since some time I did not have this problem any more. Maybe is a backup not created with latest patches, and could be affected by some bug?

Did you contacted with netmake as Trial user or at bug@scriptcase.net?

I move this thread to bug subforum

HERE WE GO AGAIN !
I have had a HD crash some time ago. Now trying to restore some projects into SC8.1 (which were created with SC8 long before the crash).
Cannot restore :frowning:
ERROR: The file was noy created by Scriptcase version 8

I TRIED 6 different files with the same unsuccesful result!!!

and they say they improved backu/restore ? sounds like a joke!

Any ideas ?

ARTHUR

Likely your zip file is damaged. Unpack using the commandline and see if unpacking gives errors. If so then you can be sure that your zip file is damaged.
You may be able to extract part of your project then but definitely not all.
You may have a small chance or repairing your zip using ziprepair from diskinternals, but dont get your hopes up…

RR - thanks I will give a try manually unzipping the backup files, although it is hard to believe that all of them are damaged. I have about 12+ files and none of them can be restored.
Yes I did the backup of full SC folder but that got lost when the HD crashed. The only files I have left are backups on CDs. Restoring to the previous SC version (which is 8) would be probably possible if I knew what subversion to use. I really have no idea what particular subversion was used to do specific backup (I have several files).

I found a copy of the whole folder with the Apps for the whole project (I think this might be a production set), but I see no way to import it into SC. NetMake keeps saying they working on improving it but I see not even slight improvement for the last few years. I experienced those problems with SC5, they continue till today and of course I’m not the only one.

When installin i.e SC8 and SC8.1 - how do you structure your folders? shall I have them like: SC8 - C:\ProgramFiles\Netmake\SC8 and SC8.1 - C:\ProgramFiles\Netmake\SC81 ------------- is this enough ?

Arthur

Giu - thanks for your suggestions but Support is really useless. I just asked them for help. They asked me to email them my backup file (which in my case is about 80Mb). No email server will handle that. I have uploaded it to my FTP server and sent them all access info so they can download it. Gusess what ? They keep asking if I have emailed the backup file,…and they did it 3 times. NO COMMENTS!

ARTHUR

One point that may help you…
You may still have older versions on your crashed HD (assuming the crash is not a very severe crash). With some undelete tools (getdataback has VERY good tools, but there is some pretty good freeware too) you can recover files. It may be possible that you can recover a previous zip version. Do not write to that crashed HD in any way, any writing
will make it harder to recover. If the hdd still spins which I assume you are likely to find many old versions back.
Sadly enough you can not import a deploted project. You can only deduce the logic with a lot of work by inspecting the source code, and thus recreate the apps by hand… :frowning:
We have our directories in c:\Program Files (x86)\Netmake\sc8 (and sc7 and sc6).

You can send them your backup file, all you need to do is put it on google drive and send them a download link or an even smarter alternative is to use wetransfer.
You should announce that you are sending the file via wetransfer (or whatever you use) though. You can send a file of 2G via WeTransfer…

Anyway to get back to data recovery, I’ve done some serious hdd recovery before (for MAC and for PC) . Assuming your drive is an NTFS drive for windows, chances are pretty great that it can be recovered using good software. Do not in ANY WAY try to write to the disc…!!
Unless you have a head crash on the hdd, in which case you hear a scratching sound when that crashed drive runs.
If the print board failed you may be able to find an old drive of the exact same type on ebay or other public online marketplaces…
If the crash has been serious it may even be better to start up a linux with recovery tools like the systemrescueCD or ultimatebootcd.
They have good tools too, tho I found getdataback to be the best windows tool for that work.
In all this I assume you did make a an app backup sometimes in the past. Then the zip file could maybe be recovered.