Notes regarding new version 9.10.017 (6)

Hi
I’m exploring the latest version so I can take advantage of PHP8.1 and some additional features. These are my notes in case it helps anyone:

Installation

1. The latest version requires a complete new install (This is not a bad thing)
  2. Click on the update function in the IDE and follow the instructions within the IDE. This will backup/export your projects
  3. There is no option within the IDE to upgrade. you must goto the scriptcase download page and get the latest version
  4. Install the latest version (In a separate location to your existing one)
  5. Import your applications to the new version (That you exported earlier)
  6. This will effectively give you a ‘trial’ license so that you can evaluate, leaving your old license intact.
  7. If you decide to commit and move forward, then you will need to request a new license for a new installation from sc (The exact link is in the knowledge base, I don’t have it to hand. This simply moves your existing license to the new environment without any cost involved.)

NB I haven’t gotten to the production environment, but it supposedly needs an update as well, but I’ll worry about that when I need to deploy.

Issues/Bugs
I’ve a 256 application solution that works perfectly in the old version. I have recompiled it completely and am testing in the development environment. here are some of the things I’m finding (in no particular order):

• Some of the summary forms of grids have changes (I presume due to the new grid summary functionality and/or the GroupBys). It’s fairly random as only around a third of the grids are effected. These will need to be manually fixed.
    EDIT: It seems like some of the grids have been switched from static groupby to dynamic… either as part of the new system, or more likely by the export import. Its an easy manual fix. go to grid>GroupBy>settings and change the initial groupby back to static. Took me about 15 mins to fix all of the ones that were wrong.

• I’m getting wierd and wonderful problems with the security/menus. (reminds me of the old days!) Some items do not work or do not show. This is a big red flag for me as it could screw up my users and I’ve no idea how to fix.
    logging-in again seems to fix it temporarily, but no idea what the cause might be (something in the edit/generate cycle of the IDE perhaps as it seems to be after I’ve made a small test edit. Fixed a groupby problem and exactly the same thing happened (see above).

• EDIT: Its a fault in the interaction between the IDE and the menu security… Fixed by logging out of the applications and in again. (To reset the security array)) This is a red flag as the disruption of loggin out and in (The applications not the IDE) is far too disruptive

• *I get a similar problem with the new responsive menu, but I haven’t explored it once I got a problem (No time)

• I’m musing that this might be a compatibility issue between the old security module and the new one… I just don’t want to regenerate a new one as my existing one has lots of code to make up for defficiencies in the previous version.

• The IDE itself keeps crashing to the login screen, which is very disruptive as you lose track of where you were up to and need to backtrack to return to what you were doing

• Other global variables are being impacted in the same way as the menu items. Some are deleted when compiling which causes unpredictable errors. Most will fix when you logout and in so it has to be something in the IDE. One fault appears to be related to the link between the grid and the form overwriting a global variable. It works on the old version OK so either I’ve done something in my testing or the export/import introduced the issue.

Unfortunately these errors make the upgrade unworkable for me, which is a big disapointment. The errors are so obvious with a previously working set of applications that I’m bemused why they weren’t picked up in testing. I certainly won’t be moving forward with the upgrade untill these things are resolved.

Further Update
I’m having the weirdest time…
The errors/bugs I described above seem to have disappeared. In several hours of further testing, I’ve not had any further occurrences.
I can only assume that rebooting (Switching off actually), has cleared some form of issue. I’ll keep monitoring!

It is always a good idea to clear browser cache / cookies at new versions. Not sure if that is the case here, but it often helps. Another thing is (not related to the above post) that uploading sometimes does not overwrite older files. Best practice is to delete all (except for the database config) and then upload. After a new release of SC I always upload the runtime.

Thanks aducom… I agree, thats what I normally do. In this case though, as a complete new install in a new location I’d thought it may be OK. I suspect that since although it is in a new apache server, new PHP and a new location… it still is using the same browser/cache (on localohost) and therefore needed clearing as you suggest.

Sadly, I knew all of this, so its self inflicted!

Just a further build on the IDE crashes. It is very similar to when the IDE times out due to no usage. In case this is the problem, I have also extended the IDE timeout time in Options>Settings>System Settings to a larger number of minutes.

This is a wonderful thread that I have enjoyed reading through.
I’m also in the process of setting up a new server. What I didn’t know before was that you have to use PHP 8.1 and not a higher version. Unfortunately, I only realised this when I had already invested 3 hours in an installation with PHP 8.2.

At the moment, I have to say that I don’t want to update because I don’t want to set up a server with outdated technology (PHP 8.1 is only supported until November 2024) just to waste a lot of time on a new installation shortly afterwards.

2 Likes