Quality of Scriptcase

Unbearable…
I now had to rebuild another complicated app 1:1 because the code was obviously corrupt.

I create apps…
Work wonderfully - runs at the customer

Then comes an update
All of a sudden some apps don’t work anymore.
I search for days and weeks where the error is.

But there is no error. The code is simply corrupt.
Simply sloppy.

With one app it’s funny, with 200 apps it’s anything but funny and costs a lot of money.

Think about it, otherwise Scriptcase is a tool that is suitable for playing, but not for working.

It can’t be that I have to redo half of the apps after every update.
That shows sloppiness and ignorance.

You have to change something.

Either in the way you do things or you have to kick out incompetent developers.

:frowning:

2 Likes

Postscript:
I have to do an update for a customer.

Instead of the updates, I spent two weeks dealing with errors due to the update.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

and no blahblah

It happens again and again that apps have to be rebuilt because you develop extremely sloppy.

3 Likes

I face the same problem.
Since 1 month I made many application , So after any update many problem occurred.
for example: the old application export Arabic data very good, Opposite the new one transfer it to ??? mark.
I hope from Development team to solve this big problem.
I`m sorry for SC to write this word.

1 Like

Is possible to develop and deploy and never update SC?
Then when it looks like a stable release, update and test? Maybe only once a year?

1 Like

For this, Scriptcase should introduce the notion of release candidate and stable version

Ex. All the bug fix in 9.6 should also be fix in the latest release of 9.5 and 9.4, so we can have a stable version or 9.5 and 9.4 to choose from. If we are courageous enough and badly need the latest functionality we could install 9.6

3 Likes

Look at the changelog.
There are always so many bugs…
Once a year is impossible

Unfortunately Quality Control is not the strongest point of SC. We tend to wait a few months after release to see if the most introduced issues have been fixed. We have a 10 user license and can’t afford issues as above. Fortunately we don’t need all the whistles and bells, but still sometimes it can be quite frustrating, I agree.
I hope you are able to return to the previous version. We ALWAYS make a full binary backup before any upgrade, so that we can revert back to the original situation. That has proven to be a real life saver over time.

1 Like

Really, this is a very big problem … and if your company does not lead to solving this problem and responding to customer requests, then this will have a very bad effect:
First, the company will lose its existing customers.
Second, very bad advertising. :pensive:

Of course I back up. And of course I work with versions.
But you don’t back up every 5 minutes. And if you are working on a new app or have already changed an app so much that hours of work have gone into it, it gets complicated.

And it can’t be the normal state that bugs are fixed but then there are countless new bugs. Just like it can’t be that apps are no longer executable after an update.

That the apps are no longer executable is unfortunately the normal state.

And that leads to, if scriptcase doesn’t make an effort now and fix it, that you’re forced to look at other solutions.
I hope the people at SC wake up and see the problem.

I didn’t mean to be offensive. But I have experienced the same problem and sometimes, going back to a previous version and redo the upgrade helped. Sometimes it is in little things like a new checkbox somewhere that needs to be set or unset. It can be daunting sometimes. But I must be honest, Personally I’m not using SC for new projects anymore and moved, just maintaining my current customers. But at the University we still work with a lot of users without many troubles. But yes, sometimes we have to put quite some effort into it when there are new releases. But we don’t implement them all, just upgrade twice a year. We have a huge code base and it’s not that easy to migrate to something else.

Ok, if we go back to the previous version, and I designed new applications on the current version, will I face problems of another kind?
How can I return to the previous version? Does this require reinstalling or reactivating the SC?
I am facing a problem that causes great embarrassment in my work, because some applications when exporting data to Excel work correctly and some application shows a question mark and refuses to export the data?
Remember that The SC supports the Arabic language.

You might, as if you retrieve your backup, your new apps will not be in it. And if you export your project and import it might complain about the version. Sometimes it’s faster to create a new module than put all your time in converting. It all depends. (Sorry, don’t have a better answer to this)

I’m not from Scritpcase, but an old user (since version 5) and used to be here around a lot. But I got my disappointments as well. As this looks like a code/char set/page issue, did you try to regenerate all your applications? (You probably have, but still…)

1 Like

General thanks for the advice, but this is very unfortunate, if you find a program that every update creates errors in designs that you spent a long time to finish from it.
But it is very clear that the development , Support and bugs teams does not care about customers problems.
This is a warning for them to correct errors of update, languages, slow, backup and update, and many more. :pensive:

I can’t argue that. Not sure if they moved all conversations of the old forum into this one, but there are tons of remarks like yours. And it is the reason why I haven’t renewed my personal license and stick to my current version. It gives me time to think ahead :wink:
And I agree that it’s unfortunate because in essence, Scriptcase has great potential. But support is an issue since version 5.

I think that my proposition to create a stable version of Scriptcase may help to cool down the situation

1 Like

I have had numerous discussions with Carlos Lacerda, and his successors regarding this issue. The fact is that whistles and bells have more priority than fixing bugs. PHP 7.3 is end of life at the end of this year and nobody knows if and when PHP 7.4 or better 8 is supported. The devs are probably working on this, but there is no communication, roadmap nor access to a bugtracker to follow (now that tracker is in Portuguese, but hidden for consumers). I proposed to setup a beta team to test new releases before they come out, and it was for the deaf ear. Every new release comes with a lot of new functions and new bugs. It is how it goes for over the period I’ve been using SC (since version 5) and it hasn’t changed since. But Despite these issues, I always liked the product, and as long as you don’t need all the whistles and bells, your quite safe. But unfortunately new releases do sometimes break modules, and it can take quite some time to find out why and to fix. Beta testing should avoid this. But for SC, the consumer is the tester as well.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this sounds anything but good.

Then my brother was probably right. He briefly looked at SC and said “the code is terrible”

It’s a PHP generator, so I’m not interested in the generated code, as long as it works well… But it is difficult to read for sure.

Sorry,
Yes it’s a php generator.
But, to be fair, my brother has no problem reading code. He had the Z80A processor as evening reading, for example (when he was young).
Although we are not friends, and having programmed for very very large companies, I respect his judgement.
Just saying if it works I don’t care is rather strange.
Sorry…