SCRIPTCASE TRANSLATION

Scriptcase is a very good development environment but as far as I am concerned the italian and english translation are very poor and badly realized.
Documentation in english is almost unreadable and the italian localization makes me laugh.
Some expressions are totally invented: nobody in Italy or in an english speaking country will ever use them and will hardly understand them.
I think that to reach the worldwide user base SC deserves these language issues must be addressed and solved.

Re: Scriptcase english and italian transaltion

Yes, the translations need to be handled by a native speaker of that language instead of a translation software.

Regards,
Scott.

be happy with the english translation. Once I instaled V5 on a german PC, I directly switched to
the english version, cause I did not know, what SC was talking about when asking for input or
describing what it is doing …

BR

Eric

Hi,

Could you guys help us telling what expressions are used in Scriptcase that should be improved.

English users must write the original and how it should be written.

Others language users first must write the word in English, then how it is typed in Scriptcase and how it should be written.

Documentation is being revised

V?tor Jamil

Re: SCRIPTCASE TRANSLATION

Vitor,

Are you asking us forum users what expressions should be improved? too many to list them here! Is there no budget to hire a professional translator for a few weeks?

Just think of all the extra licenses you can sell when the English documentation is at an acceptable level!

The Freezer

Agreed, hire a professional Tech Writer to create a better help file. Developers should NEVER create a help file on their own product. You need a user aspect and then they need to convey that information to a help file.

Also … I appreciate the fact that there is a basic help file option built into SC, but it is very limiting compared to a real help file.

Does not have:
Back button
Searches are not topic specific, only take you to a general page where you still have to scroll down.
Need more examples of how use in code, not just syntax.

Your product is only as good as your help. You would spend much less time supporting your product if you invested in a good help file.

Regards,
Scott.

Another issue is that many of the images in the help for SC5 are using images from SC4. When trying to use the help to figure out the settings, you cannot figure out what is meant as they do not match was is seen in SC5.

The help file … needs help.

Regards,
Scott.

I can offer myself to make all the translations to spanish! I have no problem with that

I couldn’t agree more.

Since my main language is Thai but in our company using English as the main GUI, etc in application. It’s hard to find a good help in ScriptCase Help menu.

[li]lack of good English translation[/li] [li]out date images from old version[/li] [li]need much more detail on your software, not like the same article but reuse in many topics[/li] [li]source code variables, functions still in xxxx, not English. Sorry I'm not sure what it is :([/li]

Seems like right now I’ve to trade off the helpful docs with functions of the software :frowning:

Scriptcase is a very good development environment but as far as I am concerned the italian and english translation are very poor and badly realized.
Documentation in english is almost unreadable and the italian localization makes my laugh.
Some expression are totally invented. Nobody in Italy or in an english speaking country will ever use them and will hardly understand them.
I think that to reach the worldwide user base SC deserves these language issues must be addressed and solved.

Yes, the italian and english translation are very poor and badly realized…

To Victor:

I really would like to see ScriptCase become a top-selling code generator, especially when compared to some of the other seriously deficient products that are actually doing well out there, and so I will help with the English translation if that will help gain more acceptance for SC.

Can you tell me where I should send my suggestions for translations, and tell me more about the format you want them to be in? Then I can get started. At least if the English translation is better, it might be a better starting point for other language translations.

Standing by.

Hi zacc,

I wish that you send it to me (vitor@scriptcase.net).
Telling me where I can find the wrong text and how it should be.

Thank you

register = record
edition = updating

Where can I find them?

don’t you have some kind of repository or language definition file to use for translations. I don’t think it wil work this way…

I have downloaded the demo version and I really like it. The product seems to be very powerful. But it is so hard to get started. With so many spelling errors that I have seen in past few days, I have learned to skip over them. It is not fair to your product to be presented this way. This is not an open source project so expecting us to fix it is not fair either. However, I suggest moving your documentation to a wiki to encourage your registered users fix errors on their time.

The bottom line is that we purchase products to save time completing our own development projects, being side tracked to fix your product documentation gets lower priority on my todo list. Every software development project should have a good technical writer on their team. I always do.

@Vitor:

Could you please let us know here how Netmake is going to deal with english documentation? What the strategy will be?

We are preparing an environment where some registered users will access a repository with all scriptcase texts.
So who would like to help improve the languages of Scriptcase, please contact me.

Best Regards,
V?tor Jamil

If you still need help with English and or German translations, let me know. I would be glad to help and make things more understandable for myself and for others. I am new to Scriptcase, so I will have to go through the documentation anyhow in order to understand and master the product. If in the process of reading and learning I can also make it more understandable for others, then be it so.

the only efficient method for translation is having a database/table to keep all the prompts, messages, names, etc. in a database. This way company can easily put this database on internet and make it available to editors who can make changes and additions on the fly. Each record would keep a column with the language, so all data could be filtered according to the language the person is working on. This is an approach which is used for some CMS systems and works very well, as publishing this on internet lets make translations available almost to any possible language. I think SC should select few interpreters and keep them as major consultants. Those people could be simply customers which some extra privileges. I think as a courtesy, good idea would be to give those people 1 free SC license. If you would like to see what am I talking about you can google for “Tomato Cart” CMS.

For the company IT IS CRITICVAL to keep as much as possible in English (Software, DOCs, Customer Support, forums, etc). Obviously other languages are welcomed, but English must be primary language for communication. Any company that fails this paradigm will fail in their business. I HAVE SEEN IT several times.
English is an international language, and it could never be an excuse for software development company. Since end users for SC are also developers, one who fails learn English will never truly succeed in IT.
My native language is other than English but I know if I want to communicate with the world I have to know it,… PERIOD!

If interested I could help with translation from ENGLIST into POLISH

Best regards - Arthur