When Will PHP v8.0 be supported?

It’s about the deploy applications, not about the Scriptcase IDE …

1 Like

To clarify, the error level has to be adjusted on the hosting party. But the fact remains, that Scriptcase must make more speed fixing this, as competition currently is way ahead! They promised that 8 would be supported at the end of last year, and surprise… Radio silence.

Yes, that was disabled, but Scriptcase has an error_reporting(E_ALL) in *erro.php everywhere in the created apps …

1 Like

In terms of PHP8.0/8.1 support, Scriptcase is currently joined at their hips with ionCube who doesn’t have a release schedule at all and are miles behind their competitors. I remember earlier versions of Scriptcase were working together with PHP encoders from SourceGuardian, which supports PHP8+ for quite a while now.
Why don’t the makers of Scriptcase go back to SourceGuardian?

Still, ionCube supports at least PHP 7.4 which gives a little breathing room until 28 Nov 2022 when PHP’s Security Support will end.

Scriptcase 9.7 does work already with PHP 7.4 - at least under Windows and if you do a manual installation (or exchange the “php”- folder from the “standard”-installation).

Just download the right PHP 7.4 file from: https://windows.php.net/downloads/releases/ (as of today: php-7.4.27-nts-Win32-vc15-x64.zip for a 64-bit system or php-7.4.27-nts-Win32-vc15-x86.zip for 32-bit). Unzip the files, rename the folder into “php” and replace the existing PHP7.3-one (do a backup!).

IMPORTANT: Copy the “php.ini”-file from the PHP 7.3 “php”-folder into the new PHP 7.4 “php”-folder.

Next you need to download the right ionCube PHP 7.4 encoder file and put it into the PHP 7.4 “php”-folder.
The ionCube version number is 11.0.1, released Jan 12th, 2022, Link: https://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php.
From there download the zipped version of either “Windows VC15 (Non-TS) (64 bits)” or “Windows VC15 (Non-TS) (32 bits)” as needed.
Unzip, rename the file “ioncube_loader_win_7.4.dll” into “ioncube.dll” and put it in the new PHP 7.4 “php”-folder.

The Scriptcase instructions for “manual installations” fail to mention to do the rename, they should update that part.

Done - restart the development engines!

It has worked so far with our projects with almost 300 applications without a single error. On the production side we have tested with PHP 7.4.27 as well without any issues so far.

Can Scriptcase support please officially validate that this is a possible workaround until PHP8+?

5 Likes

Afaik, the generated code is not depending on ION cube. What I mean to say is that SC can safely deploy Scriptcase under PHP 7.3 but generate code for PHP 8.x. The development environment can be contained on intranet and not open to internet. Not ideal, but works. Then our applications that we deploy comply to what the market demands.

2 Likes

Just to understand. The deployment code can be run in PHP8.x but development still remains in PHP7.3 for now!

1 Like

No, you cannot currently. What my point is that SC should focus on getting the generated code suitable for 8.x
In that case we can still develop our apps, without the dependency of IONcube.

2 Likes

Got ya. Now I understand

1 Like

@aducom is right, you cannot currently deploy SC code under PHP8.x.

But at least you can develop AND deploy with PHP 7.4 (rather than 7.3), which is crucial because PHP 7.3 is NO longer supported by PHP with security updates as of Dec 6th, 2021.

Many if not most larger corporations, including universities or governmental entities don’t allow software to be running on their servers which have surpassed EOL!

Check the PHP release & eol-schedules here:
https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php/
https://www.php.net/eol.php/

This de facto DISQUALIFIES current Scriptcase9.7/PHP7.3 to be used by any security compliant company since two (2) months already as of today!

That is disgraceful and raises quite frankly legal issues, since SC sold their last major upgrade to v9.7/PHP7.3 just a few weeks before PHP7.3 went into EOL!

SC lists on their home page “45.000+” developers with corporate logos from global GIANTS like “HP”, “Cisco”, “Siemens”, “Bosch”, “Mercedes-Benz”, etc. There is absolute NO WAY that these companies would run public projects on their websites with EOL-Scriptcase/PHP7.3 deployments!

So here are three main questions I would like to get an honest answer from ScriptCase’s top tier management:
(1) How far away is ScriptCase’s source code away from PHP8.0? From PHP8.1? Give us a rough timeline, PLEASE!

(2) Scriptcase must be aware of the sensitivity-issue that PHP 7.3 is an “old hat”.
So why don’t they update at the very least their website, downloads, installation pages, etc, so that users can develop & deploy under PHP 7.4 - ASAP?
BTW: the current automatic/full-installer for SC 9.7 installs an “ioncube.dll”-file from 2019(!) in the “php”-folder. 2019 = PHP7.0/PHP7.1. Does Scriptcase has actually a current 2022er-ionCube license?

(3) If ionCube is really the issue why Scriptcase can’t go beyond PHP7.4, then why don’t they simply sever ties to this “7-people”-company with a falling net asset value of just under GBP 500.000 (check their public UK filings) and work with an encoder/loader-solution who supports PHP8 already?

Or alternatively: let the user choose! (I would be happy to pay an additional USD 199 for a SourceGuardian’s V12 license in addition, and live worry free that the Scriptcase projects we develop and maintain, don’t get kicked out by our customers because of their SECURITY BYLAWS - that is, if SC source code is at PHP8 already).

4 Likes

I agree on most part and due to the rules in our University we had to move to PHP 7.4. That was not without issues, but we could overcome. If you have a huge code base then I can imagine that you want to protect your investment, but personally I think that - looking at the pricing that increased 400% over the last 3 years, at least for me - that they should offer value for money. I’m not interested in all the (new) whistles and bells, I want them to make the generated code suitable for PHP 8. Pricing cause me to drop my personal licenses which means that I’m not a gold partner and reseller any more. If the pricing trend is continuing then Scriptcase will be dropped soon by many I’m affraid.

3 Likes

If SC does not come with a plan, then perhaps it is time to change to something else. Not something I want to do, but what other choice do we have?

the end of support does not mean the end of life
i guess hostings will support 7.4 for a long time, at some point there will be a SC upgrade to php8

perhaps some extra diagnostic can be added , so we can spot unworking things, but i have not encountered any so far.

there is a bunch of other php code protectors, so ioncube can be replaced if they fail to upgrade and delay the migration.

I disagree. End of life means no support with all the consequences @lionsland describes. I can’t sell apps that require PHP-eol and even with PHP 7.4 you can run into compatibility issues, although for us pretty easy to fix as I wrote. About providers, my provider does not support 7.3 anymore but starts at 7.4. I know that there are still providers supporting PHP 5.x, and I don’t see that as a good thing. Personally, I don’t think that IONCube is the main issue, but the fact that there are many incompatibilities with PHP 8.x in the old legacy code.

1 Like

E_ALL? Afaik if you deploy SC sets this parameter to none. At least we haven’t seen this ‘feature’. But we’re not on the most recent version, perhaps there is a difference there…

just to let know netmake guys yesterday i had to format my linux laptop and i had to choose an old release because my new linux mint 20.3 (with i love) supports php8 i was trying to install php7.3 but i got into problems… i guess it can be done but i would get into a lot of trouble…

please help us quickly!

1 Like

I believe this one will allow an install of PHP 7.3 via the Ondrej repo. Then you may want to do the following:

sudo apt -y install php7.3
sudo apt -y remove php8*
sudo apt-mark hold php7.3

1 Like

Any schedule date/time for Scriptcase to upgrade PHP 8.x?
Couples of my customer’s apps are on hosting and those will say no more 7.3 any time near future.

No date yet.
They are doing something because of you look into generated code you can see comments left with the word PHP8 in them.

Sure, but hey, it’s March, almost April…

1 Like

my information is that it will support 8.1 by mid-year.