When Will PHP v8.0 be supported?

May I ask where did you get such info from ?
I hope the migration to PHP8 will not come with tons of new bugs…

Even it takes time for 8.x; should make it work upper than PHP 7.3.
For my many customer hosting, 7.3 is the lowest choice. I wonder they will remove it soon.
And deploying again after the upgrade will cause more jobs for me. I cannot give an excuse to them that my compiler doesn’t support it yet.

I’m in a similar situation here. My insurance doesn’t cover EOL so I’m in a difficult legal position with a few clients. I’m not sure how long I want to remain exposed like this.

We have successfully migrated our applications to PHP 7.4 It is no guarantee, as it might be depending on the modules and features that you use, but we managed to do so. At the university I work for, it is not allowed to run eol systems, so we had to migrate before half of December of last year. But I find it amazing that this process takes so much time, as the end-of-life situation is known for a long time. But SC focuses too much on the wrong things IMHO.

2 Likes

It sounds like Scriptcase will need to look at SourceGuardian. They support PHP 8.1 fully. That will require some re-work, but if IonCube can’t support what is needed then a change IS required.

These are challenges to be sure, but must be made so that Scriptcase and NetMake can continue development.

While there are quirks as with any RAD tools I like what Scriptcase offers. I do believe that NetMake should consider a new version or product maybe called “Scriptcase Studio”.

Scriptcase Studio could be a new breed or RAD tool that takes full advantage of PHP with a full GUI environment/UI. This product should be 100% modular with EVERYTHING. This way the Scriptcase Developers can take full advantage of what comes next and provide a way for the ScriptCase community to come along with a company who would continue to expand and evolve.

Just my two cents.

I have read your comments, contributions and experiences with scriptcase for a long time. I’ve also seen frustration in your comments, because of SC’s mistakes, but you always support others when they ask for help. First I am writing to thank you for your help and second I am happy that your university has been able to migrate their applications to php7.4. A cordial greeting and much success in all your challenges. (sorry for my bad English)

2 Likes

Everyone get their invite?

Preparing your Scriptcase environment for PHP 8.1

During this webinar we will share important information as well as tips and good practices for using your applications in environments with PHP 8.1.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6301209200585575694

Hello aducom. I hope all is well with you. I just saw an interesting E-Mail come from Scriptcase talking about preparing our environments for PHP 8.1. I registered for the seminar, but we will see what comes of it.

Let’s pray that Scriptcase will indeed support 8.1. I am hopeful as well that they start to look at supporting SourceGuardian as well as it seams to be more forward thinking.

I think they will finally. My fear now is that it will come with the many issues as usual. But once it is out, all devs can look at their custom code and start making it compatible to 8.1. I also recommend to install this version separately so that you can also maintain the old stuff until you can safely move. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

3 Likes

You make an exelent point aducom. Matter of fact I had to re-install 9.7.13 from scratch as the update from 9.7.11 would not update properly. So I made another backup and restored it in 9.7.13. Copied the To Do items and restored them in the later version. This is kind of what you are rwferring to.

Thank you.

@scriptcase it would be great if we could have the 2 versions installed side by side on the same license for a time. Due to the considerable time involved to upgrade its not practical to upgrade all projects to 8.1 at the same time.

5 Likes

Now that is an excellent suggestion

1 Like

Good suggestion for migration of libraries and olds scripts of PHP < 8

1 Like

@scriptcase Another suggestion is to resolve the bugs in version 9.7, before releasing the new version 9.8

If that holds up php 8, then we’ll probably never see it :face_with_monocle:

You probably right about that. But I rather, they atleast clean up all the known bugs in 9.7 before doing a major release in 9.8.

What we really need, is that previous versions, at least one or may be two, like 9.7 and 9.6 continue to be supported for a few month to clean up the know bugs before dying.

Each bug should be fix in 8, 9.7 and 9.6. We don’t need improvement on previous versions, just bug fixes. It shouldn’t be too hard to maintain for SC

I fully agree and have stated that often before. Stability is more important than new features that mostly are whistles and bells to me… But SC’s CIO/Devs usually don’t listen well and do what they want to. At least in the years that I and we’ve been using SC (which is since V5.x). But who knows, let’s stay positive. I hope it will not introduce a load of new bugs.

1 Like

Scriptcase used sourceguardian in the past and switched to ioncube.

https://www.scriptcase.com.br/lp/ambiente/php81/tutorial/